CMOS Checksum and Boot problems

Downhiller80

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hey All,

So here's what I'm struggling with:

1: Updated the bios on my mobo (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe)
2: Computer went in the crapper (of course)
3: When I boot I get a CMOS checksum error (press F1 to enter Setup or F2 to continue with default values)
4: I'm also having trouble when I restart my computer from Windows. It doesn't want to boot, and I get a blank screen. I have to manually restart my computer for anything to show up.

I've tried going back to an older version of my bios to no avail. Any thoughts?

Downhiller80

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I'm about to show my true colors here, but how do I clear the CMOS? :)

It's in the manual. Power off the power supply or disconnect it from the outlet. Then set the CLRTC jumper (I assume your motherboard has one) from Normal to Clear CMOS for a few seconds and then put it back to Normal.

Downhiller80

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So I cleared the CMOS, and now it's telling me "Overclocking failed!" I have never tried to overclock my computer, and I have no idea how to fix this either...:/

Normally you should have "Overclocking failed!" only once. When you enter the BIOS and press F10 to save, it should not give you that error again. Are you sure that you loaded the correct BIOS for that motherboard? If so, disconnect the PC from the outlet and remove the battery for a few minutes. Also make sure the CLRTC jumper is set to Default. Then go into the BIOS, set the default values and save it.

Downhiller80

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah, I've done both of those - I even replaced the battery with a new one just to make sure. When I save the changes and restart my computer, it reboots to a blank screen (light on monitor blinks) and I have to manually restart by holding the power button for it to show up. After this, I get the same "Overclocking failed!" error message. Perhaps I should consider flashing with an older BIOS version?