Cmos checksum error loop, does not store changes without crashing except the date.

Lauw

Honorable
Jun 5, 2015
hi All
So as the title stated already i can access bios but cant get any further than that without crash.
Also when it crashes there is no picture at all and the little display on the MB cycles from 10 to FF afterwards. Sometimes it hangs at F3 and other times when i hit reset the MB cycles normally straight to bios.

System spec
motherboard:EVGA X58 SLI micro VER1.00
Memory: 1x 4GB ballistix sport 1600Mhz DDR3 (pulled from working machine)
GPU: AMD R5570 1GB gddr3 (for testing purpose only)
CPU: xeon W3540 swapped with I7 960
PSU: CORSAIR CX600M ( has only been used for testing purpose and is fairly new)
- All other hardware has been removed/unplugged from the system except keyboard.
Though Hard drives do show up in bios.
-cmos has 3.2v this can be read in bios.
System has been tested out of the case on a cardboard.

Notice: case fan header issue. Used a new fan on the header, fan spins up briefly then stops. The leds of the fan remain on though. Tried system fan header next and this time around the fan functions normally.

What i tried already...

I used different graphic cards, the one mentioned above i know works fine in another system and is not causing the issue.
I7 960 is not faulty in anyway. I know this because i pulled it out of my main rig (and swapped it with an X5675.
The memory was pulled from the same machine.
Bios chip has been replaced with new one wit the latest version 83. so this has been ruled out as well.

Now.. the reason why i suspected the CPU is because i noticed in the bios it showed around 1.4 Ghz instead of the actual maximum speed. So i assumed/suspect the processor was on its way out.

I did my best to give a good description of the problem. If you got any more questions feel free to ask.

Edit: I just noticed that after the motherboard crashes and automatically boots from a cold start, just when the board cycles from 10 to FF, the powerbutton led on the board goes out. Does this mean a short is causing the board to crash?

Thank you for any help
Laurens

Lauw

Honorable
Jun 5, 2015

its installed in the second slot. According to the manual thats DIMM slot 1..