Question CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss

mccann88

Commendable
Sep 12, 2020
Hi,

Just installed an update using the Windows Update and on restart of the computer after a number of failed restarts in which the computer kept powering up and down, it finally restarted but this was the screen I got - Please see attached
picture. Screen Image

I went into the BIOS Setup but didn't do anything and exited and the computer restarted again but again had issues powering up. Finally got it restarted again.

The computer is an Acer TC-895 and have only had it a few months and have run into this problem.

I would be grateful if anyone could help?

Many Thanks

mccann88

Commendable
Sep 12, 2020
So I need to replace the BIOS battery? How do I do that? Should it only last a few months, have had computers before and never had this issue. Is this the only issue it could be and will replacing it guarantee a fix?

So I need to replace the BIOS battery? How do I do that? Should it only last a few months, have had computers before and never had this issue. Is this the only issue it could be and will replacing it guarantee a fix?

Remove the computer's side panel, you should be able to see the Bios battery at the lower right corner, it's a 2032 battery. Just use a small screwdriver blade to move the latch away a bit, the battery will pop out.

A fresh 2032 battery should last a couple of years depending on its quality and production date.

B36H4-AD-1024x768.jpg

OK Thanks. Is this a fairly common issue with computers only a few months old. Will this resolve the black screen with the warning ?

If it was a battery issue as the system says, your computer will start normally.

The first time you start the computer after the battery change, you will have to enter the Bios and fill in some information like date, time, select a boot drive ect...

mccann88

Commendable
Sep 12, 2020
I have switched my computer on and off a few times after this initially recurred and it is booting up OK and I am not getting the warning again. Should I go ahead and replace the battery anyway? Or is there any other way to check if this is definitely the issue as it first stated?

I have switched my computer on and off a few times after this initially recurred and it is booting up OK and I am not getting the warning again. Should I go ahead and replace the battery anyway? Or is there any other way to check if this is definitely the issue as it first stated?

You can pull the battery out and test it with a multimeter, it's a 3V battery, if the battery voltage is lower than 2.75V or so it might be time to replace it.