kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
So I have a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3p board with F10 bios on it. It had been running about 2 days without issue with a slight overclock. I just went to restart it, the splash screen appeared, then the computer restarted itself. Upon showing the splash screen again, it froze. I tried clearing the BIOS (via the clear CMOS pins and by removing the battery), but both did nothing. So, I figured I might as well leave it on the splash screen to see if anything happens. After about five minutes, the screen changes to say CMOS Checksum error (or something along those lines) with the ability to choose different configurations of last known good boots. I chose default just to be safe. Upon choosing this, my computer restarted itself as expected, then again froze at the splash screen. Waited about 5 minutes, then the computer booted up as normal. Checking CPU-Z, everything is back to default as it should be. I was wondering why my board did this as it is the first time. Everest reports a BIOS battery voltage of 3.25V. Do you guys think that these are signs that my board is going to die soon and I should send it in, or wait it out and see what happens. I'm gonna try restart my computer right now to see if it does it again or not.

kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Just got done restarting.

So atleast a 5 minute POST. Well, it just freezes, so I can't even go into BIOS. No checksum errors this time, just a freeze during POST. Or well, maybe it's not POST. It freeze during the splash screen, but after it disappears it's works fine. I'm not sure how Gigabyte's do their POST.

royalcrown

Distinguished
In the old days if the board did not like the ram you could get a checksum error. Try swapping it for different ram if you have some or taking out a stick at a time if you have 2 sticks.

kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Of all the things in the world to cause a checksum error and to slow down POST. It turns out that POST didn't like my older iPod shuffle plugged into it. Since I haven't synced it using this board, it never even crossed my mind. What a waste of time. Back to studying for my midterm.

Thanks royalcrown for your input.

It is possible that your BIOS somehow got corrupted.
Happened to my P5k a few months back.
Would give me some of the oddest problems.
Random BSODs, long starts and the on board WiFi died.
After reflashing everything started working fine again.
I would recommend you flash (or reflash) your BIOS to the latest version and see if that helps.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
this is what's great about computer troubleshooting.

Yeah, er, you can replace the memory, processor, bios chip, format the hd, reinstall windows, and put everything in a new case

or. . .

you can unplug your ipod

didn't see that one coming.