[SOLVED] CMOS Checkum Bad & Keyboard not working ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Hi,

I am trying to access the files of a friend's old NEC Mate MA-9 cpu Desktop PC. Once I turn it on, the display comes like after 30 seconds or so and then the screen displays CMOS Checksum Bad and Press F2 to Enter BIOS Setup. The problem is that the keyboard doesn't work. Pressing F2 or any key doesn't work (no lights also when I press caps lock, scroll lock, num lock).

I have tried another keyboard but it doesn't work on this unit either. But the screen detects that these are connected: keyboard, mouse, hdd, cdrom.
The 2 keyboards I used are working okay on my main pc.

The screen is just stuck to that part during boot (see below). I have also installed a new cmos battery but the same problem persists.

Here's what the display shows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Speed: 2.93 GHz
Press F12 to Boot on Network
The MCH is operating with DDR3 1067
DRAM Timing: Tcl:7/Tras:20/Trp:7/Trcd:7/Twr:8/Trfc:60/Twtr:4/Trrd:4/Trtp:4
Initializing USB Controllers.. Done.
2014MB OK
USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse
Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 0.. IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1.. ATAPI CDROM
SATA Port0 Hitachi HDS721016CLA382 JPE0A3CF
S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
SATA Port1 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GH10N NN0A
Auto-Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

CMOS Checksum Bad
Press F2 to Enter BIOS Setup

Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-YOAuEojEasq_EdVIHjl7zjJ1MIMy6Qb/view?usp=sharing

Solution
Power it off between port swaps. At this point you are relying on bios support . not windows that can activate and install drivers.
Make sure to use the to use the back motherboard ports closest to the PS2 connector.

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Try a different usb port.
Some boards are picky about which port you use.
Could also be a bad voltage capacitor on certain ports. I've see that before on older boards.

Do I need to turn off before trying another usb port? Coz I've tried all 6 (back) & 2 (front) usb ports while the cpu is on but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes, I've tried all usb ports both front and back but still the same problem. I've tried switching ports while the pc is on. Or should I power it off before trying another one?
Yes it's better to power off before port swaps. I must have been typing as @Unolocogringo posted. His was good advice. I didn't need to repeat that.

What @ex_bubblehead said actually is a good point. Board behaving like this, especialyl when it comes to holding BIOS settings, I would replace CMOS battery too.

Status
Not open for further replies.