Question CMOS clears when unplugged, new battery

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming-3 with Ryzen 2400G.

Awhile back I noticed that when my computer was unplugged, the CMOS would reset to defaults. I replaced the battery, but the issue still occurs. I measured 3.27 V on the battery when out of the motherboard. I put the battery in, and with the computer unplugged, measured from the positive contact on the battery holder to ground, and it was 3.27 V. So, it looks like contact is being made, and doesn't appear to be shorted.

Sort of at a loss what else to check. Any thoughts?

I guess the first thing I'd do is make sure that the clear CMOS jumper didn't somehow get placed in the clear position, because that would definitely cause it to clear every time power is removed. If that is not the case, then really it can only be a faulty BIOS ROM. I can't really think of anything other than those two things that would cause it if the battery is good.

Unfortunately it does not look like that board has a replaceable BIOS ROM like some boards have from what I can see. I'd say your options are replace the board or simply deal with having to reset the configuration in the BIOS each time you remove power, which you shouldn't be doing on a regular basis anyhow. There is not only no need to do so unless you are working inside the case, or there are thunderstorms in the area that might put your system at risk, as it is recommended that you DO NOT do so on a regular basis.

There is just no reason for doing this. We've seen this discussion many times here and the bottom line is, disconnecting power to your power supply should only happen when you are working on the system or there is lightning near enough to be wary of it.

But aside from that, I can't see any option other than a replacement board but you might want to bench test it by stripping it down to the absolute bare essentials to see if perhaps one of the connected devices is somehow shorting something out and triggering a reset.

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Thanks. Ya, I don't remove it from power often, so it's more of an infrequent annoyance than anything.

I was hoping to repurpose the system as a HTPC or something once I upgrade, which is why I wanted to see about fixing the issue. But, ya, probably easier to just replace.

Like I said, it might be worth it to pull it out of the case and bench it. Check to make sure there are no standoffs under the board that do not specifically line up exactly with one of the motherboard standoff mounting holes. One standoff in the wrong place can cause all kinds of different issues, and it doesn't necessarily have to start out that way. Sometimes it takes a while for the minute vibrations the system creates to work it's way through the coating to one of the traces. It's not particularly common, but it happens from time to time.

Has it always done this, or just started doing it recently, or you aren't really sure how long it's been doing it?

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
It's done it for a very long time. I purchased it in 2018, but don't remember when I first noticed the issue. I replaced the battery I think a couple of years ago, and noticed it didn't fix the issue, but since it is a relatively minor annoyance, didn't try to hard to fix it. I may bench it as a final test. Thanks.

Ok. So, my advice would be, did you test the new battery before installing it, or did you assume the voltage would be ok because it was new? Because I have purchased MANY CR2032 batteries that were plainly below 3v right out of the package. At local stores AND online. So, since these get purchased RARELY, you need to be very cognizant of that fact. Which I don't doubt you are but it is always worth mentioning for anybody who comes along to read the thread later.

Beyond that, it MUST be related to the BIOS ROM or something else on the MB. End result is, regardless of WHAT might be wrong on the MB, that you either deal with it or replace it because there are really no repairable parts on a motherboard for 99.99% of users.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Ok. So, my advice would be, did you test the new battery before installing it, or did you assume the voltage would be ok because it was new? Because I have purchased MANY CR2032 batteries that were plainly below 3v right out of the package. At local stores AND online. So, since these get purchased RARELY, you need to be very cognizant of that fact. Which I don't doubt you are but it is always worth mentioning for anybody who comes along to read the thread later.

Beyond that, it MUST be related to the BIOS ROM or something else on the MB. End result is, regardless of WHAT might be wrong on the MB, that you either deal with it or replace it because there are really no repairable parts on a motherboard for 99.99% of users.
I can second that about Bios battery.

I bought 2 packs of 4 the first pack where all duff the other pack where fine cant remember the brand but they were cheap.

TRENDING THREADS