[SOLVED] CMOS not working

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
So I ordered a Ryzen 5 2600 from Amazon about a week ago which arrived today. I did all the steps of installing the cpu well and booted up my pc. (It didn't work)
It powers up and the fans start spinning but it won't start up, just a black screen and a 'no Input' message popping up.
i tried doing a CMOS reset AC out and Power shut down (with a screwdriver, disconnected the battery and tried again, then with a paperclip. Time between 10-30 sec of holding and 5 mins of the battery out) and still no results.
I'll now leave my PC off with the power out for the night and try it again tomorrow. If anyone has any advice it would be highly appreciated.
(I also tried re-seatting the RAM stick)

My specs:
MB: Asus B450M-A
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (older one was Ryzen 3)
8GB RAM HyperX Fury
PSU: Antec Basiq 450W 12cm

Last edited:
Solution
What bios revision is the board running? You may have to reinstall the old cpu and upgrade the bios to be compatible with the 2600. Also what GPU are you using(you didn't list one)?

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
I own an EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Black though I don't recall updating my BIOS, is there a way I can do it without having to swap the CPUs again? (e.g. downloading a new version from a laptop onto a flash drive and try to boot up to that)
Edit: My old CPU was a Ryzen 3 2200G but I don't think that one is a 2nd gen technically, hence the BIOS update is needed, am i right?

Last edited:

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
The 2200g was supported with bios 3203 and you need atleast 3904 for the 2600. Where your board doesn't support usb flashback you need to install the old cpu to update the bios.
How do I know if it supports usb flashback or not?
If it doesn't support usb flashback, can i put the cpu and the fan without screwing the fan in?
Edit: my MB is an Asus B450M-A sorry, my b.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How do I know if it supports usb flashback or not?
If it doesn't support usb flashback, can i put the cpu and the fan without screwing the fan in?

It doesn't. Only top tier boards do, and it's generally listed on the spec page for the board.

For a BIOS update, you don't want to risk losing power/shutting down for any reason. In theory you could hold the heatsink in place but in practice, if the CPU overheats & shuts down, you may brick your board - so secure the heatsink properly.

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
I looked a the the specs it doesn't.
Only if you like your CPU extra crispy.
My cpu is a b450m-a, sorry, is the latest version of it 2006?
Also, i tried booting up after connecting my old cpu but it requires a boot device, as if windows isn't installed although i never deleted it.
P.S. I'm downloading it by DHCP from the bios menu, version 2006, hope this works

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
Ok so I've managed to boot up and installing and all that, everything works perfectly ☺️
I wanna thank both of u for ur help, I was so stressed about this, I highly appreciate it 😄
One question. How much should I overclock the cpu ? Stock is 3400mhz I believe and I thought ofvgoing up to 3900mhz, is it recommended?