CMOS reset failed?

infinity526

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hi,
I have a newish rig that had a psu fail in about a week, and I just got the replacement. It POSTed fine and I went into the BIOS and enabled Core Unlock (Phenom II x3 on msi 870a-g54) and it wouldnt POST, so I tried pulling the CMOS battery to reset it (which worked the last time I screwed up the BIOS) and even left it out overnight, but it didn't work. Any ideas in general or that mobo specifically??

Phenom x3
msi 870a-g54
TT Frio push/pull
CM Haf 912
CM Silent Pro 850w
Seagate Green 1tb
XFX Radeon 6950 Dual Fan
6x 75cfm Case Fans
Patriot G2 DDR3 1600 2x4gb

Thanks

What made you think your psu was bad?

You can pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes to clear cmos.

Likely it's your cpu's 4th core that has failed, which is why it was sold as a tri'core. Stick with 3 and overclock it, you'll get better gaming performance out of 3 oc'd cores than you will 4 cores at a lower speed.

infinity526

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
for the first question, see my thread about it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=313968&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

second, i know about the 5 minutes but wanted to be super sure because it didnt work the first time i pulled it.
third, yes, i think the 4th core is bad, too, but to turn off the unlock i would have to get into the bios, and to do that, it would have to post. which it does not. and THERE is my problem :(

After reading your link, I fail to see anything about why you think your psu was dead.

Anyways, if clearing the cmos does not work, and pulling the cmos batter doesn't work, I think your out of luck.

Rma the board.

infinity526

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
how do you clear the cmos without pulling the battery, you said 'Anyways, if clearing the cmos does not work, and pulling the cmos batter[y] doesn't work' which implies there is another way....

infinity526

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
yeah...i googled it...it doesnt look like there is going to be anyone else replying to this...i know a guy and i am going to take it to his house and see if he can help me.
how do you get a mod to close a thread??

Pick "best answer" and they will close it.