CMOS x CCD sensors.

Dear members:

I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides the
best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space or
color gamut, ... ?

Suggestions and input on both Sigma's Foveon sensor as well as that
available on Fuji's line of digital SLRs will also be relevant and
appreciated.

I am also interested in reading reviews published in either print
journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you
would recommend ?

Thank you in advance and best regards to all.

--
Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Is light sensitivity also a factor? Color space gets into another issue, as
does speed. If quality is paramount, one of the large format camera mfrs
just released a 22Mpixel camera.. As with a film camera, the variation in
intensity within a picture may exceed the sensors range. For example, you
may need to take three pictures, each with a different "exposure value",
then combine them with a photo editor to obtain maximum detail.
Finally, is a camera's "raw format" mode usable with other than the mfrs
software? Otherwise the cameras output will be confined to "standard"
colorspaces, such as sRGB or perhaps Adobe's.
In otherwords, a camera is the sum of its parts.
I'm not even going to get into printer color space and limitations.

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <drjchamberlain@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dear members:
>
> I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
> sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides
> the
> best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space
> or
> color gamut, ... ?
>
> Suggestions and input on both Sigma's Foveon sensor as well as that
> available on Fuji's line of digital SLRs will also be relevant and
> appreciated.
>
> I am also interested in reading reviews published in either print
> journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you
> would recommend ?
>
> Thank you in advance and best regards to all.
>

> --
> Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
> Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

CCD stands for Charge coupled device. CMOS stands for Capacitive Metal
Oxide Device

CMOS is the type of device to make a CCD

I hope this answers the question.

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <drjchamberlain@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dear members:
>
> I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
> sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides
the
> best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space
or
> color gamut, ... ?
>
> Suggestions and input on both Sigma's Foveon sensor as well as that
> available on Fuji's line of digital SLRs will also be relevant and
> appreciated.
>
> I am also interested in reading reviews published in either print
> journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you
> would recommend ?
>
> Thank you in advance and best regards to all.
>

> --
> Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
> Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

CMOS usually stands for Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

This means two MOS transistors in a class B configuration (push pull). Is
this not the case with optical devices?

"*" <rscampi@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> CCD stands for Charge coupled device. CMOS stands for Capacitive Metal
> Oxide Device
>
> CMOS is the type of device to make a CCD
>
> I hope this answers the question.
>
> "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <drjchamberlain@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Dear members:
> >
> > I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
> > sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides
> the
> > best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space
> or
> > color gamut, ... ?
> >
> > Suggestions and input on both Sigma's Foveon sensor as well as that
> > available on Fuji's line of digital SLRs will also be relevant and
> > appreciated.
> >
> > I am also interested in reading reviews published in either print
> > journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews
you
> > would recommend ?
> >
> > Thank you in advance and best regards to all.
> >

> > --
> > Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
> > Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

"*" <rscampi@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> CCD stands for Charge coupled device.
> CMOS stands for Capacitive Metal Oxide Device
>
> CMOS is the type of device to make a CCD
>
> I hope this answers the question.

No - CCD is not made out of CMOS devices, if that is what you are saying.

CCD and CMOS detectors are based on different technology. CMOS - which
dedicates more of its area to electronics - was thought to be inherrently
too noisy to compete with CCD detectors, but that has changed.

--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

CMOS is Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor and CCD is Charged Coupled
Device.

CMOS:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6029_7-5895345-1.html

CCD:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6029_7-5895158-1.html?tag=txt

Help on choosing sensors:
http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/sensors/05.htm

A really good paper on CMOS Vs CCD sensors:
http://www.dalsa.com/shared/content/Photonics_Spectra_CCDvsCMOS_Litwiller.pdf

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On 6/21/05 6:23 AM, in article vxUte.375$5w3.96@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com,
"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote:

> CMOS is Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor and CCD is Charged Coupled
> Device.
>
> CMOS:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6029_7-5895345-1.html
>
> CCD:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6029_7-5895158-1.html?tag=txt
>
> Help on choosing sensors:
> http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/sensors/05.htm
>
> A really good paper on CMOS Vs CCD sensors:
> http://www.dalsa.com/shared/content/Photonics_Spectra_CCDvsCMOS_Litwiller.pdf

Thank you very much to all who responded my post. Your answers have been
very helpful. Is there a book any of you might recommend that would cover
this issue in detail ?

Best regards,