Art Miller

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hello,

My old tower, with ASUS A7N8X mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2700+/333 cpu, kINGSTON 512mb pc2700 RAM sticks, Nvidia FX5200 Pro video card, and WD800JB HDD sat for nearly 2 years without use. Naturally, the CMOS bttery died, so I replaced it with like kind (2032).

Disconnected all accessories, powered on (rear switch), then hit the front power button. It started right up, I let it run for a few minutes, then plugged the monitor and keyboard back in and tried again. Within 3-4 seconds, the front power switch shut it down!

I took everything apart again, tried the same sequence, no more luck: each time I try the front power switch, THE FANS RUN FOR 3-4 SECONDS, THEN MACHINE SHUTS DOWN. Same thing, every time.

It seems to me I've read something online about this 3-4 second duration, but cannot retrace my steps to find such reference.

I want to use this machine again (nothing was wrong with it when I stopped using it initially).

Any help?

Art M

Art Miller

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for responding.

Might I need to remove the heat sink and apply fresh thermal psate even if the CPU was never removed or otherwise disturbed?

Art

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
If it sat for 2 years, the paste should be dried out and not doing it's job of conducting heat away from the CPU. Can't say if that's the problem, but is a start to narrowing it down. What make/power is your PSU?

Art Miller

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
My power supply is "400W SmartPower ATX12V Including Pentium 4, SL400".

Consider this, though: why would the system start and run properly ONCE after I installed the new CMOS battery, and thereafer return to it's faulty start sequence (on for 3-4 seconds, then power off)?

Thanks for your input, BTW!

Art Miller