[SOLVED] Coax not sutable for LED TVs?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Hi, I have Sony R352E TV. I use it for watching cable TV via COAX. But when there is something moving, its details become grainy and it leaves a motion trail (blur). But everything looks perfect when the object isn't moving.
When I use my android TV box via HDMI, I don't notice anything similar.

Anyway I can get rid of that motion trail/blurriness while using the signal from COAX?
(like signal converters or something)

Solution
Hi, I have Sony R352E TV. I use it for watching cable TV via COAX. But when there is something moving, its details become grainy and it leaves a motion trail (blur). But everything looks perfect when the object isn't moving.

Anyway I can get rid of that motion trail/blurriness while using the signal from COAX?
Many TVs can have the amount of processing adjusted per input. You might want to see if there are options to minimize the motion smoothing or even set that input to "game mode", which turns off all processing.
It could be the resolution of the input signal. If you are watching standard definition...

kanewolf

Titan

Many TVs can have the amount of processing adjusted per input. You might want to see if there are options to minimize the motion smoothing or even set that input to "game mode", which turns off all processing.
It could be the resolution of the input signal. If you are watching standard definition programming, your TV may scale it to fill the screen. You might want to disable that, it you can. Even some HD programing that isn't 1080p has to be scaled. It depends on what the input signal you receive.

Solution
Sports mode got rid of the motion trails but there's another weird problem. Motionless/still objects seem to have their edges repeated. Like in this image.
https://pasteboard.co/JZQLtnb.jpg
The letters clearly have their edges repeated twice or thrice while slowly fading away
That looks like pixel overshoot which is probably an effect of Sport mode trying to display smoother fast moving objects. Do you have a game or pc mode? If yes try these, they should have minimal ‘effects’ added unlike the other display modes.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
That looks like pixel overshoot which is probably an effect of Sport mode trying to display smoother fast moving objects. Do you have a game or pc mode? If yes try these, they should have minimal ‘effects’ added unlike the other display modes.
Game mode not available for COAX input. And it happens in all the other available modes too.

Also, the effect seems to happen only on the right side of any object.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
This is a 40 inch 1080p TV. It is possible you are just too close. This article -- https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-proximity-finding-optimal-tv-viewing-distance/ and others say you should be 5 to 8 feet away.
The thing is, I am about 10 feet away. I guess it's either that the signal was not that good to begin with or some kind of scaling problem. I've tried all sorts of stretch/wide modes available.

If the signal is at fault, nothing to do about that and probably can't do anything about scaling(don't see any option i haven't tried in settings).
I'm still thankful the motion trail thing is gone. it was very annoying when watching sports.

kanewolf

Titan
The thing is, I am about 10 feet away. I guess it's either that the signal was not that good to begin with or some kind of scaling problem. I've tried all sorts of stretch/wide modes available.

If the signal is at fault, nothing to do about that and probably can't do anything about scaling(don't see any option i haven't tried in settings).
I'm still thankful the motion trail thing is gone. it was very annoying when watching sports.
Digital signals don't have RF problems. They either work or don't. Is this a digital channel you are tuning?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Digital signals don't have RF problems. They either work or don't. Is this a digital channel you are tuning?
My guess is it's not digital. Because it also works if I plug the cable on my CRT TV which my parents bought somewhere between 1999-2001.
I actually meant to say "Analog signal via COAX not suitable for LED TVs" in the thread title. (But I didn't know COAX also provided digital signals :sweatsmile:)
That's why I was looking for something like a "lossless analog to digital" converter type of thing so that my TV doesn't look grainy anymore.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
My guess is it's not digital. Because it also works if I plug the cable on my CRT TV which my parents bought somewhere between 1999-2001.
I actually meant to say "Analog signal via COAX not suitable for LED TVs" in the thread title. (I didn't know COAX also provided digital signals then :sweatsmile:)
That's why I was looking for something like a "lossless analog to digital" converter type of thing so that my TV doesn't look grainy anymore.
If this is an ANALOG TV signal then this may be multipath RF interference -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation Where RF signals are bouncing off objects and arriving at your antenna at different times. All you can do about that is get a better antenna. A more directional antenna will be less susceptible to the multipath interference.

Reactions: Ziadul87

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Then there's nothing I can do about it. The antenna is not mine. The provider owns it and sends the signal via the cable.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your help. I'm really happy at least the motion problems are gone now.
:)