Coax to ethernet?

SilverStag

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
I'm currently running Verizon Fios, and I recently swapped the Verizon provided router with a 3rd party router.

The Verizon provided router has an ethernet WAN port and a coax port. Both ports were used, however, the 3rd part router only has a WAN port. Without a coax port, my set top box for the Fios Television service can't receive program schedules or any firmware updates. So, I was wondering, can a simple adapter from coax to ethernet solve the issue (using one of the LAN ports for the adapter)?

EDIT: Sorry for the misplaced thread. If any moderator happens to come across this thread, please move it to networking. Thank You.

Solution

You might need to get a Verizon tech out to verify your connections.

USAFRet

Titan
(moved to Networking)

I also have FiOS.
If your ONT is enabled for the ethernet cable to a router, you also have to have coax from the ONT to the STB.

Thusly:
fiosdiagram-at2.jpg

SilverStag

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Thanks for the move and reply!

There is a coax cable that is on a splitter, which was connected to the Verizon provided router. However, my 3rd party router has no port for the coax cable, thus that coax cable is just lying around unhooked. I'm able to watch live TV, but my STB has no data connectivity. So is it possible to remedy this situation by using a coax to ethernet adapter (if such a thing exist) on a LAN port? Or am I just better off purchasing a router with both a coax and ethernet port?

Sorry, I'm pretty laymen when it comes to networking...

USAFRet

Titan

From the video port on the ONT, you need a coax to the STB.
Not to a router (unless it is the Verizon router)

SilverStag

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
From the diagram, the RG6 feed moca to the router isn't hooked, since the 3rd party router I'm using doesn't have a port for it (use to be hooked to the Verizon router). Which is preventing the STB from displaying program schedules or conduct any firmware updates.

However, there is a coax connection to the STB.

USAFRet

Titan

You might need to get a Verizon tech out to verify your connections.

Solution

SilverStag

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

Probably will call in a tech.

Side questions. Are you running a 3rd party router? And if so, do you have a coax cable connected to it?

USAFRet

Titan

No, I'm using the Quantum Gateway " FiOS-G1100"
I have zero complaints with it.

I ran into the same issue when I had Verizon FIOS. I ended up just leaving the Verizon Actiontec router in place but disabling its wifi, attaching my own router to it (WAN port on my router plugged into a LAN port on the Actiontec), and assigning my router a static IP and setting it as DMZ on the Actiontec. So my router acted like it was directly connected to the Internet, but Verizon's STBs were happy since the Actiontec was still in place.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. I believe for full TV functionality, the Verizon router needs to be in there somewhere.