[SOLVED] COD MW Refuses to Stop Stuttering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 21, 2022
Hi- I had been playing MW just fine at a cool 60-80 FPS when I was running on Geforce 1660ti, then upon upgrading a couple of months ago to a 3070ti I ran it even better at about 100-150 FPS! Seemingly overnight one day a month ago I had begun experiencing a mysterious stutter which to no avail have I been able to resolve. Tends to be every few seconds a huge chop in the FPS which gets extremely annoying. I have tried lower settings and even on the lowest settings & resolution it presents the same issues. Initially I thought that the latest MW update had messed it up, but I don't think it did. I have tried all of the following:

• Clean reset of drivers, using DDU
  • Scanning & Repairing Game
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling Game
  • Optimizing using control panel
  • Resetting Monitor settings
  • Using msconfig to activate all of my cores
  • Clean reset of PC
  • Installing Windows on SSD
  • Installing Game on SSD
  • Switching position of Ram sticks (a1b1-->a2b2)
  • Updating BIOS
and probably some more but I am so exhausted with this game that I can't remember. I want to say it has something to do with my Windows installs, as I had previously tried to migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD and now msconfig shows that I have multiple drives that have Windows 10 on it. Regardless, the game ran fine even when this initially happened. I just wanna play dammit. Here are my specs, please help.

Specs:
Monitor: MSI MAG272CRX 240 hz
GPU: GigaByte 3070ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6 GHz
RAM: 2x8gb DDR4
MB: B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Any help would be great, or at least some more options to try. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Lads, I have resolved my problem. Please forgive me for this huge forehead moment. Upon opening up my PC to reapply thermal paste I noticed something odd. It turns out that the previous time that I had applied thermal paste (which correlates to the 2 months I spent in stuttering agony) I had left my fan/heat sink unclipped/secured above the CPU. It was basically wiggling. While placed vertically the heat sink was making no contact with the CPU. This means for the last two months my CPU has been holding on by a thread with no cooling what so ever. I went ahead and scraped the old thermal paste and cleaned both CPU and heat sink with rubbing alcohol. Reapplied thermal paste and lo and behold my game has never run better. I will also...
Lads, I have resolved my problem. Please forgive me for this huge forehead moment. Upon opening up my PC to reapply thermal paste I noticed something odd. It turns out that the previous time that I had applied thermal paste (which correlates to the 2 months I spent in stuttering agony) I had left my fan/heat sink unclipped/secured above the CPU. It was basically wiggling. While placed vertically the heat sink was making no contact with the CPU. This means for the last two months my CPU has been holding on by a thread with no cooling what so ever. I went ahead and scraped the old thermal paste and cleaned both CPU and heat sink with rubbing alcohol. Reapplied thermal paste and lo and behold my game has never run better. I will also mention that everyone that has helped managed to boost my PC even further with all their settings that I was never even aware of so I thank you for that. This has been quite the journey.
that's funny but yeah you should check for temperature. mind to run ubm and post it here (make sure the clock is at 3.8 or above, since in bios PBO is enabled)

there you go! better score, cpu reached max all boost core using the latest amd chipset driver and using amd ryzen balanced power plan, and a little tweaked nvidia settings :D

only if you have the money, upgrade to a 3600mhz ram kit, if you could the lower the CL the better the latency, cause ryzen 3000 cpu series loves fast ram (and it does indeed give fps boost due to how the arch work).

TRENDING THREADS