Question COD MW3 - Very low FPS ?

May 14, 2021
Hey guys,

I recently bought my first COD. Since my notebook is relatively old I went with COD MW3 (downloaded it from Steam). As games like CS:GO, GTA5 or ARK are running smoothly and without problems (GTA 5 and CS:GO even with relatively high graphics settings), I thought that MW3 shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Oh was I wrong.

I am currently (trying) to play offline & single player in campaign or solo survival mode. My FPS never go beyond 35 FPS during the initial phase of the game. After some minutes of actual game play they drop to 20 FPS and eventually drop to less than 10 FPS after another 5-10 minutes. At this point even the menu has a FPS of 15-20. FPS only recover if I close and restart the game (again to 35 FPS in the first minutes and afterwards dropping again).

Graphics settings are already at the lowest (Shadows, etc. are all off). Tried to play in full screen or window mode – no change. I did close all programs in the background - no change. I rebooted my notebook and tried again – no change. My drivers are all updated. I checked my task manager during the game (when FPS are low again), usage of CPU, RAM and GPU are never above 50-60%.

My specs are:
Windows 10 notebook (64bit)
Intel Core i7 - 6500U CPU @ 2,50GHz
8 GB RAM
GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 520
GPU 2 (dedicated): NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

I’d be very grateful if you guys could help!

May 14, 2021
During the last few days I did some research, however was not able to significantly improve the performance (FPS) of the single player game.

Although I do not want to play multiplayer (yet) in MW3, I downloaded and installed the mod "IW5 Plutonium", just to see how the performance of the game would be. Interestingly, even though the graphics are better in IW5 (and also graphics settings were considerably higher), the FPS were significantly higher (between 55 and 75 FPS = playable). After reducing the graphics settings the FPS further increased. After uninstalling IW5 and trying "vanilla" single player MW3 again, the initial performance issues occurred again (as described in my first post).

I also checked my CPU and GPU temps during the game. CPU is getting up to 85°C and GPU to 55°C. However, I don't think temperature is a reason for low FPS, as I get similar temperatures when playing IW5, CS:GO or GTA5, and I do not experience any major performance issues.

Maybe you guys have any idea what else I could try to get MW3 single player running?
Thanks!