[SOLVED] Code 43 new GPU

Jun 4, 2022
I have an nvidia Rtx 2070 which has about 8 hours of total use to its name. I was playing a video game No mans sky when a BSOD video Tdr error occurred and then when rebooting pc gpu is showing “code 43 error” in device manager. Pc recognized it as an rtx 2070 but it says code 43 error with a yellow flag next to it. I have tried the DDU method to no avail. I have tried disabling and reenabling the device. I have ruled out the pci slots. I have the required PSU and psu is no fault. Motherboard is all good as backup gpu is working fine. I have no clue why a brand new card would get this error. I am at a loss for words and very saddened by this. I am running windows 10. Please help. Methods on google are not working. GPU Is dust free, no overheat when error occurred and gpu seated properly. Other drivers do not fix the error. I have noticed that fans are not spinning because of the error of windows not recognizing device code 43.. so I am afraid to troubleshoot for long because I don’t want it to get hot and overheat and break. I have no clue what happened.

Solution
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

Code 43 on a GPU is often the sign that the GPU has conked out...or that the GPU's not working properly. You should use GPU-Z and see what the size of your VRAM is showing up as. If it's 0MB, please go ahead and RMA the GPU.

For added measure, please list the specs to your current build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

including the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Lutfij

Titan

Code 43 on a GPU is often the sign that the GPU has conked out...or that the GPU's not working properly. You should use GPU-Z and see what the size of your VRAM is showing up as. If it's 0MB, please go ahead and RMA the GPU.

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Solution
Jun 4, 2022

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Hello thanks for the quick reply! I will reply once I can and new information presents itself! The vram was not at 0, however it was showing about only powering up to 10% of its normal rate… 100-150.. this card does 1,000+.. so that doesn’t seem right? However I didn’t get this reading from cpu-z as CPUz detected no card.. I got the reading by loading up a game which read 120mb vram. Way lower than its normal.
Cpu - i7 3770k intel
Motherboard - intel extreme d77ga-70k
Ram - 3x Corsair vengeance 4gb each.
ssd - crucial mx500 2.5 ssd
Gpu - asus Rtx 2070 nvidia
PSU - cougar cmx 700watt
Os- window 10 64bit
Monitor - benq xl 2540-b

PSU was added to this pc about 2 years ago.
Another thing. On startup, gpu fans will spin for about 30’seconds until you get into windows user login screen they stop spinning. Card is lighted up with its neon lights the entire time but yeah fans stop turn off and error code 43 remains.

Jun 4, 2022
Hello thanks for the quick reply! I will reply once I can and new information presents itself! The vram was not at 0, however it was showing about only powering up to 10% of its normal rate… 100-150.. this card does 1,000+.. so that doesn’t seem right? However I didn’t get this reading from cpu-z as CPUz detected no card.. I got the reading by loading up a game which read 120mb vram. Way lower than its normal.
Cpu - i7 3770k intel
Motherboard - intel extreme d77ga-70k
Ram - 3x Corsair vengeance 4gb each.
ssd - crucial mx500 2.5 ssd
Gpu - asus Rtx 2070 nvidia
PSU - cougar cmx 700watt
Os- window 10 64bit
Monitor - benq xl 2540-b

PSU was added to this pc about 2 years ago.
Another thing. On startup, gpu fans will spin for about 30’seconds until you get into windows user login screen they stop spinning. Card is lighted up with its neon lights the entire time but yeah fans stop turn off and error code 43 remains.
I just noticed something new as well. I keep seeing PCI device with a yellow flag now. It says manufacturer -unknown device - Code 28. Also my fans are spinning in safe mode on the gpu!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022
Yeah, another PC is going to be the ultimate test. Given the PSU that was said, I'm a little worried; I'm not sure why an RTX 2070 is being powered by a cheap hec-made group-regulated PSU.
I do not have another pc to try at this moment (today) but what I can tell you is my backup gpu works in the slot and is detected. Actually, I’m low on cash and this rtx was gifted to me.. are you saying my psu could be at fault? Reason i was given this rtx by a friend in the first place is because my old card had an issue as well; where screen would turn black but pc and sound would stay on…. And I had no idea how to fix it. Then I was gifted this card because he had no use for it and has barely any hours on it (basically brand new) like I said, about 8 hours total… it worked perfectly like a charm the first few days it was installed but yeah, I received the Tdr video BSOD.. and attempting to reset pc been receiving code 43 ever since.. I even tried a format (against my best wishes) and that did nothing at all for this issue too. My old gpu is detected in the slot.. it says “device is working properly” but I can assure you if I attempt to game I will get the black screen error again on this old card.. was really hoping this new card did the trick.. but code 43 remains no matter what I do. Bios doesn’t even detect the card.. the only thing is windows still knows it’s an rtx 2070 but code 43 prevents it from staying on and doing anything which also makes the fans not work.. I’m afraid it’s permanently damaged now because it just roasts anytime I try to troubleshoot it.. I am pretty sure any type of thermal protection is not even working now because of code 43..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Swapping out the PSU would make sense. The best way to diagnose parts is always going to be testing, and that you have a known poor quality PSU in this PC means that is the best place to start, given that it should have been replaced anyway whether or not you were having obvious problems.

Jun 4, 2022
Swapping out the PSU would make sense. The best way to diagnose parts is always going to be testing, and that you have a known poor quality PSU in this PC means that is the best place to start, given that it should have been replaced anyway whether or not you were having obvious problems.
Hey thanks for this idea. I will get my hands on a psu later today and get back with you with the results. I was under the impression it was enough watts but if the quality is bad then I guess that would make sense. And now that I think of it, maybe 700 watts was not enough anyway. I was told that my system probably required a minimum 735-750’watts.. so I will definitely give this a shot and report back here later today! Thank you for the quick replies. It really means a lot.

Jun 4, 2022
Hey thanks for this idea. I will get my hands on a psu later today and get back with you with the results. I was under the impression it was enough watts but if the quality is bad then I guess that would make sense. And now that I think of it, maybe 700 watts was not enough anyway. I was told that my system probably required a minimum 735-750’watts.. so I will definitely give this a shot and report back here later today! Thank you for the quick replies. It really means a lot.
Edit; also any chance gpu may be damaged by overheat? I know they are made to withstand a lot but I’m not sure how hot she could have got from troubleshooting no fans…on code 43..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

700W was enough, the issue with this PSU isn't its (alleged) output, its the quality. If you're unfamiliar with which PSUs are quality, you'll find more than ample help here.

Jun 4, 2022
OK, technically the pot on a cold stove will boil at room temperature at like one-fiftieth the typical atmospheric pressure, but you know what I mean.
Well that’s what I am wondering.. the neon lights of the card still light up when turning on the system. It seems to be getting heat/power (somehow) and the plate of the gpu feels hot when I turn pc on say for about 10 minutes to attempt troubleshooting measures.. yeah code 43 says gpu is turned off because of problems but the neon lights are still on showing power is indeed going through it.. (there’s an msi label that changes neon colors when pc is on) the fans of gpu do not spin besides first 30 seconds of power up every time

Jun 4, 2022
Hello. I have not got my hands on the PSU yet at this time, but I am still messing around.
This is something new that I've never seen. I'm on a brand new formatted OS (tried this as a last resort)
and RTX 2070 is still showing Code 43. Right now I have my back up GPU and there is no Code 43 and working properly.
but what is this "pci simple communication controller" ? yellow flag next to it.. Anything to do with my issue? Here is the hardware ID
just wondering if it is anyway related as I have never encountered this (even on previous formatted OS's)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_20378086&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_20378086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&CC_0780

Edit: Now I have put back in the RTX 2070 with Code 43.
Now I notice a new yellow flag in device manager, simply "Pci Device" yellow flag.
hardware ID

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ADB&SUBSYS_37341462&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ADB&SUBSYS_37341462
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ADB&CC_0C8000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ADB&CC_0C80

interesting note.. not sure if any of this is relevant.. I'm just putting everything out there.
Driver update recognized my RTX 2070 or it would say something like "This driver does not support your version of windows".. however, you open up Nvidia control panel it will say that I am not connected to a Nvidia GPU..

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022
Update: I went ahead and called MSI this morning. With everything I have described and the troubleshooting methods I have already tried, MSI has confirmed the card was indeed faulty.
So RMA seems to be the only real solution here. I will go ahead and mark this as solved as I have already started the Return process! Thanks again for the replies and everyone who tried to help. I can only speculate why it was faulty but I know it's pulling extreme heat especially around the GPU-chip area. If you're experiencing similar symptoms on a brand new card, go ahead and request a return. They were very professional with my request.
If you're seeing similar symptoms and it's NOT under warranty, chances are it could be repaired in some manner but it would require expertise and necessary tools so check your local repair shops, however, I'm not a technician so who knows! Good luck to anyone who has a similar issue.