Question CODMW Audio stutters and cutting out for certain sounds incl. vehicles and killstreaks. Please help!

Mar 4, 2020
https://streamable.com/vqbdm

I've been dealing with audio issues like you hear in the video since day one of this games release. No other game has had these kinds of issues and it's driving me to the point of being unable to play the game. I really could use your help in finding a solution as I am really enjoying warzone. Thanks in advance.

The examples in the video are the most obvious issues with the audio but not all of them. Vehicles in particular seem to be the worse offenders. The quad bite and helicopters always cut out.

I have tried all the mixes and some are worse than others but there is definitely issues no matter what.

Here are my PC specs

• i-7 7700k 4.2 GHZ
  • 32 GB DDR4 ram
  • GTX 1080 Ti
Game is installed on a fresh 1tb samsung SSD.

Following items I have tried:

Reinstalling game

Adjusting audio format (none help)

Scan and repaired the game files

This has been an issue with the game since day 1 of the beta and has not improved on my end. It truly makes it difficult to continually play the game. Almost seems like lag issue with the game streaming audio or something. I monitor my pc stats while playing and my cpu doesnt get above 60% usage. It isn't an internet issue either. My wife plays on xbox and doesn't have these audio issues when playing in the same game as me. My PC is hardwired to the router.

What audio device and format are you using (headset, speakers, analog out/optical out, etc)? If using analog out, have you done the speaker/headset plug wiggle test to see if the jacks they're plugged into have poor contact (do this with constant audio coming through to see if it drops out)? Is your audio device set as default in Windows? Are your audio drivers updated? Is this only happening online (check to see if it happens offline)? Is your ping high when this happens online? Have you checked for severe frame drops while this is happening?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Frag. Here are my answers to your questions.

What audio device and format are you using (headset, speakers, analog out/optical out, etc)?
I am using the default speakers (realtek HD audio). I have also tried my hyperx quadcast mic as my default with my headphones plugged through that (its a USB mic). Neither change or improve the audio.

If using analog out, have you done the speaker/headset plug wiggle test to see if the jacks they're plugged into have poor contact (do this with constant audio coming through to see if it drops out)?
I have tried plugging it in to various spots. This issue only exists in CODMW. All other games (csgo, tarkov, diabolical, pubg, apex legends, etc) do not have these audio issues. I suspect its whatever the new cod engine is has this issue. I haven't had problems with other previous COD titles like BO4.

Is your audio device set as default in Windows?
Yes. I do not have a sound card. Only the built in. Considering I don't have issues with other games, I find having to purchase a dedicated sound card just absurd.

Are your audio drivers updated?
I played around with this for a few hours and believe it is updated (driver date is 05/2019). I can't find specific drivers online and the ones from realtek actually messed up my sound entirely (killed my audio entirely).

Is this only happening online (check to see if it happens offline)?
I have not tried offline, but I can tonight after work.

Is your ping high when this happens online?
Doesn't matter what my ping is. Most games I am sub 50 ping (I live in Denver). My packet loss is at 0% while playing (based on the in game counter).

Have you checked for severe frame drops while this is happening?
How do I do this? You can see with the plan that I have smooth frames. The thing is its not all of the audio, its just specific items i.e. what you see in the video. Among other sounds that are choppy/cutting out are the vehicles. The small helicopter and ATV is especially bad.

I've also tried doing a reformat/resetting my computer and the issues is still there. The audio issues you are hearing have been in my game since the beta and haven't improved. I'm at a loss.

Mar 4, 2020
A common tool for checking anything from FPS to temps to GPU/CPU usage is MSI Afterburner. It's a free tool that can be set to show any monitoring you select to show onscreen while playing.

https://us.msi.com/support/technical_details/VGA_MSI_Utility_AfterBurner#txt07
I have been monitoring my numbers and not seen anything out of the ordinary tbh. Again, this only occurs w/ MW and their engine, not other titles. I am not sure what the answer is, but I think it has to come from IW.

Mar 4, 2020
Got Warzone less than a week ago and the buggy plane and fan noise is bugging me aswell, it sounds the same as yours.. :(
Hey man,

Something I noticed is it seems to be related to when people are jumping out the plane. I am not sure what would cause that to effect the audio but maybe that might be helpful to some reading this.

In the mean time, I suggest using f10 to mute the plane until you jump.

Mar 17, 2020
Hey man,

Something I noticed is it seems to be related to when people are jumping out the plane. I am not sure what would cause that to effect the audio but maybe that might be helpful to some reading this.

In the mean time, I suggest using f10 to mute the plane until you jump.
Thanks for the tip! will try it out but I forgot to mention the cars aswell.

Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for the tip! will try it out but I forgot to mention the cars aswell.
Yeah I have that as well. The loot crates do when I am moving around them or there are multiple within audio distance of one another. How is MP for you? the vtol is especially noticeable in both groundwar and smaller game modes.

What are your PC specs?

Mar 17, 2020
Yeah I have that as well. The loot crates do when I am moving around them or there are multiple within audio distance of one another. How is MP for you? the vtol is especially noticeable in both groundwar and smaller game modes.

What are your PC specs?

I havent bought modern warfare, just playing warzone. But yeah.. Crates aswell..

i7 6700K 4.0 GHz
32gb ddr4

Yeah, I concur, after some searching and reading chat about it, this seems to be clearly a specific problem with the game coding, especially Warzone.

One thing I forgot to say above is in some games that have audio issues it can sometimes be alleviated or minimized via using less audio channels or editing a cfg file to lower the number of active audio sources onscreen at a time. Don't know if this game has such command strings or if they can be edited, but it's worth looking into.

In Ghost Recon Wildlands I had a delayed audio problem with vehicle engines and doors. It would always happen right after launching the game, and often times after fast traveling to a new location. It, and a lot of the hitching that happened (especially flying the helo) was alleviated when I bough t a super fast NVMe drive and installed the game on it. Previously it was on a WD Black 1TB HDD.

Your problem doesn't seem related to how effectively the drive assists asset streaming though, but if you can at all maybe borrow a super fast NVMe from a friend, or even try buying one from a place that allows 30 day returns for any reason, it may be worth trying.

I hear CoDMW is very asset heavy. It goes over the top vs past MWs graphically, so it could be you need a very efficient drive to stream those assets adequately, especially on max settings or high res.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020
I think that the problem is related to the integrated audio device by Realtek, probably a comptibility issue. The problem dissapears when I connect my TV and the audio goes through HDMI (nvidia card).