Coffee lake upgrade nightmare - BSOD during Win 10 install

ILLGotti

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
So basically something that I was really excited about has turned into a nightmare. My old system:

i5-2500
p8z68-v lx
(2x) 8gig Gskill 1600 DDR3
Corsair CM850M
120gig Sandisk SSD Plus
500gig WD HDD
MSI RX470 Gaming X 8 gig
Asus DVD/CD/RW

I was fairly happy for a while until it wouldn't let me play some games at full settings anymore so I decided to start upgrading. It worked fine.. until now.

Its an upgrade so the new parts are

i5-8600K
ASRock Z370 Pro4 **AND** MSI Z370-A PRO
GSKILL Ripjaws V 3200 DDR4
Crucial MX300 240gig

So this has been ongoing for over a week now. I got the ASRock mobo first.. I got a bunch of BSODs every time I tried to install windows. I tried two different downloaded .iso's and a windows media created disk. Same result. I removed the video card, same thing.. I unplugged both drives and introduced a new Crucial SSD.. again.

I took the RAM to work, where there is a i7-7700 running DDR4 and swapped the sticks out and the 7700 booted up and seemed perfectly fine. I swapped them back and ordered the MSI mobo.

I got the MSI mobo today and I'm pretty shocked to be getting more BSOD's on this new board.

I am borrowing a friends PSU tomorrow to test that.. but I'm seriously getting to the point where I may become violent with this hardware and I'd rather just get it to work. lol

Someone please help me, I seriously just wanna play some games again. This laptop is useless for that.

Thanks.

ILLGotti

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Already done. the 3200 is running at the minimum with XMP turned off.
Bios has been updated on both mobos already..
I've also pulled the RAM sticks and tried them 1 at a time, none of this makes any difference.

ILLGotti

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Okay, so I did that.. and it worked, for a minute. Got a BSOD "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" as well as another BSOD (can't remember the code) after trying to restart from that.

I was persistant and kept trying to load windows. I got windows back up and was trying to open the web browser. It literally closed the window right after I opened it.

Tried to run scandisk and it didn't open anything.. Eventually just BSOD'd again and I gave up.

Oh, I should mention that I did run the memtest disk before startup, I ran memtest for over 2 hours.. it passed 2 passes.

Startingt ot hink the CPU is the issue... but I really have no idea. I'm ready to just return everything because this is insane to still be having issues after almost 2 weeks.

ILLGotti

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Well if you can return it.
I went ahead and sold it on ebay"used" and 3 weeks later found myself in a paypal resolution. LOL. The guy lost, because I sold it as used "as-is"... but I kind of feel bad for him. I guess that did confirm the CPU was the issue.

I ended up just getting an i5-8400 and called it a day. Overclocking is hot so not overclocking made this build easier.. and I ended up building a 2nd machine, exactly the same as mine for my friend.

We got new computers at work recently, so I just went ahead and had them get us 8400's. We're all running SSDs and 16 gigs of ram, no video cards in the work computers.. but this 8400 is a workhorse. I can't say anything bad about it.

Reactions: RememberThe5th

TRENDING THREADS