[SOLVED] Coil whine and frequent freezing on games

Nov 27, 2019
simplified system specs before i start this:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Geil 8gb 3.20Ghz

In literally every game I play except just a few (Gta V, minecraft, fallout 4) there will be coil whine constantly and the game will randomly freeze at times. (This only occurs during gaming) I can still move the cursor when I am frozen and it usually lasts for about 20 seconds to 2 minutes. It first started in about february with freezing on my Radeon RX 280 and it slowly got worse and spread through different games. So I factory restarted my computer once and It solved most issues at first then it all started again. So I then got my warranty for my GPU activated because I thought it was that. While I waited I used a 750 ti and everything was fine and I had none of the issues. They then sent me a brand new Radeon RX 580 and I had the exact same problem. So I gave up then and I just downgraded to a 1050 2GB that I had. And everything was fine. Until just today recently I bought a new 2060 XC Ultra and now I am having all the problems all over again. It is so bad to the point I am having more sitting there watching a frozen screen than actual gameplay. Can someone please help with a possible solution? These are the things that I tried

-reinstalling windows 3 times
-reinstalling graphics drivers multiple time
-replacing rx 580 that i had before
-updating every single driver on my pc

all to no prevail. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Solution
i believe my psu is a 450w bronze. that's all i know about it.
There are plenty of 450W bronze PSUs. Open your case and take a look on the sticker. Even better upload it to imgur so we can see. A bad PSU might as well be the root of your problem. If it's a bad PSU you have and is also aged it most probably be the problem.

Upgrading the RAM will help a gaming rig in general as more and more modern games require more than 8GB RAM to run smooth.
What is the make, model and age of your PSU?

Is the RAM dual channel, as in, you have 2 sticks of RAM placed in the 1st and 3rd or in the 2nd and 4th slot ?
What speed is your RAM?
8GB of RAM is low for current gaming systems. If possible, upgrade to 16GB.

Nov 27, 2019
RAM is just 1 stick of 8gb in the 4th of 4th slot (i tried changing it to other ones and it didn't work) and it's 3.20Ghz

i may be able to upgrade to 16gb soon, i don't know for sure.

shivababbli

Distinguished
simplified system specs before i start this:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Geil 8gb

In literally every game I play except just a few (Gta V, minecraft, fallout 4) there will be coil whine constantly and the game will randomly freeze at times. (This only occurs during gaming) I can still move the cursor when I am frozen and it usually lasts for about 20 seconds to 2 minutes. It first started in about february with freezing on my Radeon RX 280 and it slowly got worse and spread through different games. So I factory restarted my computer once and It solved most issues at first then it all started again. So I then got my warranty for my GPU activated because I thought it was that. While I waited I used a 750 ti and everything was fine and I had none of the issues. They then sent me a brand new Radeon RX 580 and I had the exact same problem. So I gave up then and I just downgraded to a 1050 2GB that I had. And everything was fine. Until just today recently I bought a new 2060 XC Ultra and now I am having all the problems all over again. It is so bad to the point I am having more sitting there watching a frozen screen than actual gameplay. Can someone please help with a possible solution? These are the things that I tried

-reinstalling windows 3 times
-reinstalling graphics drivers multiple time
-replacing rx 580 that i had before
-updating every single driver on my pc

all to no prevail. PLEASE HELP!
Shift from HDD to SSD.... This will solve your problem

Nov 27, 2019
So, you definitely need to upgrade your RAM.
You haven't answered about PSU yet.
i don't get why i would need to upgrade my ram, because when i first got the pc everything was fine on the rx 580 (the card this issue started with) then over time the issue randomly started, could it be that my ram is getting too old?

i believe my psu is a 450w bronze. that's all i know about it.
There are plenty of 450W bronze PSUs. Open your case and take a look on the sticker. Even better upload it to imgur so we can see. A bad PSU might as well be the root of your problem. If it's a bad PSU you have and is also aged it most probably be the problem.

Upgrading the RAM will help a gaming rig in general as more and more modern games require more than 8GB RAM to run smooth.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS