Question Coil whine/buzzing from new Corsair PSU ?

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Recently bought a Corsair RM850e, but i experience a coil whine/buzzing, especially when not playing games and simple is idling. Is Corsair usually doing this, it's a faulty PSU or it's normal? Before i had a Seasonic, no buzzing there and such, well, it was even 650W, not 850, so dunno if this can make a difference in being silent or not. Should i return the PSU, wait a bit more to see if the buzzing can go away or should i get a Seasonic again since alot of ppl tell it's more silent?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Have you narrowed down the source of the noise to be from the PSU? What is the PSU powering up...? I meant what are the specs to your build now? Please list them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Do you have an audio clip with video to corroborate what you're hearing off of our build?

You should remove it as soon as possible because the worse case senario is if fails big style and fries everything in your pc.

You say its not the 850 you asked for and its whining so return it with the tag ... wrong item and not fit for purpose .

Its heavy so find out who has to pay for the return of it.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
You should remove it as soon as possible because the worse case senario is if fails big style and fries everything in your pc.

You say its not the 850 you asked for and its whining so return it with the tag ... wrong item and not fit for purpose .

Its heavy so find out who has to pay for the return of it.
I didn't said it's not what i asked for. I did ordered that. The thing is the fact it's buzzing or coil whine. Reason why i asked if i should switch to Seasonic, since many ppl tell it's more silent.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Have you narrowed down the source of the noise to be from the PSU? What is the PSU powering up...? I meant what are the specs to your build now? Please list them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Do you have an audio clip with video to corroborate what you're hearing off of our build?
CPU: I5 4690k
CPU cooler: Intel stock cooler.
Motherboard: AsRock Z97 Anniversary
Ram: 16G dual (8 each)
SSD/HDD: Kingston 250GB and 500GB
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB
PSU: Seasonic S12III-650, 80+ Bronze, 650W
Chassis: Zalman. Which exactly, forgot
Monitor: LG Led monitor

I uploaded a link with 2 recordings of sound. One without case, one with the case.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to roll a sheet of A4 paper and hold one end to your ear while the other end is used to inspect for the source of the noise. I'm still not confident that the noise is coming from the PSU...more likely the stock cooler's fan. Regardless, you use that paper cylinder to probe for the source of the noise.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
You might want to roll a sheet of A4 paper and hold one end to your ear while the other end is used to inspect for the source of the noise. I'm still not confident that the noise is coming from the PSU...more likely the stock cooler's fan. Regardless, you use that paper cylinder to probe for the source of the noise.
Hmm, is it possible a new PSU, with more W, can cause the stock cooler to sound like this? I mean, it didn't sound like this with the other PSU.
Maybe this info can help, but if i put some pressure on both sides on my PC case, the vibration, buzzing sound seems to be lower.

NEOCROM

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
I really can't figure it out from where the sound is. It vibrates on the whole case. If i manually check the vibration, i feel on PSU cooler, on SSD/HDD, on everything. I've disconnected the stock cooler so it won't move, the buzzing is still there, seems the cooler is fine. Can HDD/SSD make a buzzing sound? Because before it didn't. Maybe the new PSU changed that, and maybe somehow now the hdd/ssd malfunctions?

Lutfij

Titan
There are no moving parts in an SSD, so no. You can remove the PSU from the chassis and isolate it with a cardboard box, to see if the noise is indeed coming from it when it's powering the entire build. In the interim period, I'd try and bring your seller/Corsair in the matter with an email to bring them up to speed.

TRENDING THREADS