[SOLVED] Coil Whine common?

RogueMarauder

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
My new 6800XT Red Dragon has insane Coil Whine, I am able to return it through Amazon and was going to look into other cheap 6800xt's and 6900xt's, but I was wondering how common the issue is and if any brands seem to be more free from the issue than others

Lutfij

Titan
Coil whine will be present on pretty much anything that needs to deliver power, you'll hear this when standing next to a transformer even. Just to reiterate, the AMD GPU's from Powercolor tend to be reverse engineered high end variants of the base model, they tend to draw more power than the base model cards.

What is the make and model of the PSU and it's age?

RogueMarauder

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Coil whine will be present on pretty much anything that needs to deliver power, you'll hear this when standing next to a transformer even. Just to reiterate, the AMD GPU's from Powercolor tend to be reverse engineered high end variants of the base model, they tend to draw more power than the base model cards.

What is the make and model of the PSU and it's age?
Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified - Brand new at about a week old
My friend also got the same GPU as me and has no audible coil whine unless he's up in the 300FPS range. Mine gets obnoxious on anything over ~80FPS.

My new 6800XT Red Dragon has insane Coil Whine, I am able to return it through Amazon and was going to look into other cheap 6800xt's and 6900xt's, but I was wondering how common the issue is and if any brands seem to be more free from the issue than others
Not exactly common but it does occur. My reference 6900 XT doesn't have any coil whine while pulling it's rated 300W. If you're looking to buy a new one, the ASRock OC Formula 6900 XT is top notch.

Have you verified that the whine is coming from the GPU? You can check with the inner cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. Hold one end to your ear and move the other around to the different components (without touching them) while the whine is occurring.

RogueMarauder

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Not exactly common but it does occur. My reference 6900 XT doesn't have any coil whine while pulling it's rated 300W. If you're looking to buy a new one, the ASRock OC Formula 6900 XT is top notch.

Have you verified that the whine is coming from the GPU? You can check with the inner cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. Hold one end to your ear and move the other around to the different components (without touching them) while the whine is occurring.
The paper roll trick doesn't seem to make anything clearer for me, but I am 90% sure it's coming from the GPU.

Sep 10, 2022

Coil whine is something that will happen to ALL GPU, but factors will determine how loud it would be... such as the quality of that gpu (build / manufacture), if it is overclocked, if the power limit increased, if using dual monitors or very high fps games?

The only solution to this would be purchasing the gpu from the reliable store, and/or, purchase a brand with reliable RMA support.

Example in my case? I have 6800xt TUF, bought just in August. Then in October I tried using two monitors, my 27" 144fps QHD + 55" UHD 4k 60fps TV.

The same nights, multiple things changed, there's bit of coil whine (very minor), and my idle temperature went up to 42-47'c, while normally it's 35-38'C while IDLE (fans off). I analysed, googled, and found out that the culprit was the dual monitor setup, which caused my VRAM to clock high all the time and the GPU consuming 30-40w (occasional 50w) nonstop. I disable the extra monitor? temp back to normal, and the coil whine reduced back to near dead quiet.

However, I didn't like it, more like, curious about it. So, I contacted ASUS and surprisingly, they said something like, "that issue does happen, we can sort it out, either fix it, or replace it, and will make sure I won't experience that whine again even on dual monitor set up."

Funny because I didn't even consider that a real deal for RMA, I was just expecting they got feedback and can tell me something. Of course, I refused giving up GPU for weeks LOL, and they basically forced me to just RMA it, twice, like they actually want to see it and learn about it.

It was exactly like a YouTube content I once watched about coil whine not just GPU, even PSU too, manufacturers like to get coil whine RMA to improve their future products, make less noisy GPU and learn what's causing one to happen, because each GPU will have different coil whine and intensity of the noise. However, this can only be possible if the brand is reliable, or store is reliable, or both. Why? Well, once I grabbed Corsair PSU that make loud rattling whine kind of noise since day 1, asked for a replacement/ rma the next day and store said whine is not subject to RMA (they just lazy). So, I still get it refunded at 25% cost of restocking fees, so beware trying to save money out there choosing cheap stores. Amazon? Amazon for me is reliable but it must be a pain to wait as everything is about shipping with them.

SO again, if I were you, RMA it.

Last edited: