Coil Whine Corsair 750 CX ATX power supply

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shading

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Welp, I've tried my absolute hardest to fix this issue and I for the life of me cannot fix it. I've RMA'ed my power supply 3 times, switched graphics cards and even changed my surge protector... and each and every damned time there's this annoying coil whine that happens during games. Any idea's what it could be? Is it just this model of power supply? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

jeffredo

Distinguished
Late to the party here, but I recently tried a CX750M and it had a very high pitched, irritating noise (almost like when your ears ring) from the moment I installed it (during gaming, idle - whatever). I used a paper towel tube to track the whistling/ringing sound down - definitely the power supply. Took it back within a few days and got a Cooler Master V650 Gold and its utterly silent at all times.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Good choice. :D
The CX series sucks. Seeing way too many complaints about them. Multiple every day.

jeffredo

Distinguished

Yours too Alex - that Super Flower made unit for EVGA is excellent. Mine's a fairly new model - made by Enhance for Cooler Master, but JonnyGuru rated the 750W version at 9.4 and TechPowerUp! rated the 550W version at 8.9 (with a "Highly Recommended"). Thought I'd take a chance based on those and so far so good.

CM94

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Hey. I've got complete sympathy as I've similarly had 3 CX750's with the first one completely failing and stopped providing power and then my next two producing very bad coil whine during gaming/graphically demanding tasks. Being offered a RM750, I pray it works without any coil whine as I am beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.