Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI LGA1700 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5 13600K
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 4080 ROG STRIX 16GB
CPU Cooler: MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360 360mm
OS Drive: Samsung 980 Pro Series Gen4 2 TB M.2 NVMe SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P+ 1300W Platinum Fully Modular
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow Black Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel
Fans: 7 x Corsair SP120 RGB Elite Performance
Monitor: Acer Predator X34P UWQHD 100Hz G-Sync (120Hz Boost) IPS Curved 34inch Monitor (3440 x 1440)

I am Online PC gamer and I play a game called "New World"
I purchased the custom built PC last week and I am hearing coil whine from my GPU.
I didn't know there was a coil whine sound because I wear a headset all the time but it was getting louder and louder that made me to hear the coil whine even whenwearing my headset.
So, I contacted PC store where I made a purchase and carried my PC to store so that they can test it and make a replacement for my GPU.
However, I got a call from them after a hour of waiting and they were telling me that they cannot hear coil whine sound even when they run New World game, or when benchmarking.
I ended up going back home with my PC with the same GPU and I was about to play New World at home but I found out that the in-game resolution was changed from 3440x1440 to 1920x1080.

Then, I realised that they were testing with the wrong monitor and that might be the reason why they couldn't hear the coil whine sound. I called them and said that you guys couldn't hear it because you used FHD monitor when you were testing whereas I use a UWQHD monitor, but they were like "oh, we don't have QHD monitor to test it" and was asking a few questions but I wasn't too sure about it.

Here is my question to you guys,

Question 1 : Does the ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4080 have the coil whine so loud that you can even hear it while you were wearing headsets?

Question 2 : I use a splitter/extension lead for my PC and monitor instead of plug in to the wall socket directly because it's too far from where my PC is. Does this affect the degree of gpu coil whine?

Thanks.

I would try and plug the pc into a wall socket and test it that way. Coil whine is basically caused by a certain frequency and vibration coming from the gpu on high power draw/ high fps and high resolution combined.. Some people are more sensitive to these frequencies than others. Using the electric splitter may be changing the frequency. See if using the wall socket changes anything.

Reactions: vladakv

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Coil whine is a lottery. Some vendors will accept rma... If you're using headphones during gpu load then everythig is good :)
My advice to you - limit the fps with the number of your monitors refresh rate and whinning will be reduced or dissapeared at all.

gjwnsdn5

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I would try and plug the pc into a wall socket and test it that way. Coil whine is basically caused by a certain frequency and vibration coming from the gpu on high power draw/ high fps and high resolution combined.. Some people are more sensitive to these frequencies than others. Using the electric splitter may be changing the frequency. See if using the wall socket changes anything.
Unfortunately I only have 1 wall socket in my room. I changed spliter though but still I could hear the sound.

Thanks for the link.
I just red the article and it seems like the product itself has an issue with coil whine. It's really annoying the way how you could hear the coil whine sound
when I am playing a game but I guess there's nothing else I can do right?
Coil whine is a luck of the draw. There are so many things involved to cause the frequency to change enough to become that annoying.