Question Coil whine gpu or psu?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
So i have wierd noise but only when benchmarking or gaming when i quit gaming the coil whine stops…

for gpu i have gtx 1060 3gb msi oc ed.
For psu i have antec eag pro 750w 80+ gold.

it is gpu/psu or Is somthing else? Like hdd?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yes you can. Put your ear next to it.

GPUs don’t have any components that could whine like that other than maybe fans. You could try placing a finger on the fans to stop them and see if the whine goes away.

If it doesn’t, then it’s your PSU. The large capacitors in your PSU are the only things that could be making an audible whine.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Yes you can. Put your ear next to it.

GPUs don’t have any components that could whine like that other than maybe fans. You could try placing a finger on the fans to stop them and see if the whine goes away.

If it doesn’t, then it’s your PSU. The large capacitors in your PSU are the only things that could be making an audible whine.

if i stop gpu fans and still heare it then what it is?

can i test psu for conecting montiro to motherboard and then stress test?

this was also problem on my last gpu then i buy thus yestarday 1060 and also this…

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wait. What? Coil whine is a very high pitched consistent squeal made by current going through electronic power regulatory components like transformers and inductors. And there's plenty of those on a gpu. As the frequency changes, so does the whine. It's more inherent to specific gpus that run at certain frequencies and absolutely unavoidable, can only be mitigated by changing those frequencies. It can affect psus, gpus, motherboards. Psus and motherboards are pretty much sunk for the noise, but with gpus you can change the memory speeds, change clock speeds and possibly get some relief.

Reactions: RodroX

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Wait. What? Coil whine is a very high pitched consistent squeal made by current going through electronic power regulatory components like transformers and inductors. And there's plenty of those on a gpu. As the frequency changes, so does the whine. It's more inherent to specific gpus that run at certain frequencies and absolutely unavoidable, can only be mitigated by changing those frequencies. It can affect psus, gpus, motherboards. Psus and motherboards are pretty much sunk for the noise, but with gpus you can change the memory speeds, change clock speeds and possibly get some relief.

yes idk if is gpu,psu or motherboard, can i test mobo and psu by removing gpu and connect monitor direct to mobo and do some benchmarks?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017

is antec eag pro 750w 80+ gold a good psu?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
I take out gpu and connect hmdi direct to mobo and power up the heaven benchmark but no sound… the guy who sold me the gpu say that this never happaen to him,the excat same day that he sold me so yestarday he test it and all good. But my r9 270x was also have this noise as this now (gtx msi oc edition 1060 3gb)
Btw this gpu was never open,on screws are still sticker.

so my mobo and psu are good? Or is there another test to test it?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
all inductors emit "coil whine" when frequency hits self resonant frequency of a particular inductor at which the parasitic capacitance of the inductor resonates with the ideal inductance of the inductor resulting in an extremely high impedance

it's normal, just consider it as your gpu speaking dirty XD

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
all inductors emit "coil whine" when frequency hits self resonant frequency of a particular inductor at which the parasitic capacitance of the inductor resonates with the ideal inductance of the inductor resulting in an extremely high impedance

it's normal, just consider it as your gpu speaking dirty XD

ok ty,just saying i test it without gpu but no sound on benchmark no sound on game… no will see again

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017

without gpu (benchmark/game) no sound i mean no this coil sound now i change thermal on my gtx 1060 and put inside,fired up warzone and again sound appere…

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sounds weird. Like maybe cross chatter on the power supply? I had an motherboard about 15 years ago that would whistle in the same way whenever loading stuff into VRAM, you could almost hear individual assets being loaded sometimes.. but that was so long ago now.

Is it normal? Not really, for it to be whistling like that some VRMs have likely been degraded through long term use.

Will it break? Eventually, sure but it’s probably got plenty of life left in it. if you can tolerate the whistling then it’s not really hurting anything other than your ears.

Can you fix it? Likely not. These cards are not built to be user serviceable and finding out what the problem actually is would probably take a very skilled engineer many hours.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hate to differ, but coil whine is entirely normal. It's totally unavoidable noise crested by harmonics (as said) that reach an inductors resonant frequency. That frequency is different for any component, even identical components can have different resonant frequencies, and as the current gets closer to that frequency, it gets louder and higher pitched. Most times it's inaudible, or so far from resonant that it's only barely audible when there's no fans or other noise producers running. Sometimes it's right where the clocks are on the gpu, which changes frequencies with loads, so comes and goes with different scenes or browser windows. Many vendors will slap a dab of epoxy on the inductors, to try and combat the vibrations.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Sounds weird. Like maybe cross chatter on the power supply? I had an motherboard about 15 years ago that would whistle in the same way whenever loading stuff into VRAM, you could almost hear individual assets being loaded sometimes.. but that was so long ago now.

Is it normal? Not really, for it to be whistling like that some VRMs have likely been degraded through long term use.

Will it break? Eventually, sure but it’s probably got plenty of life left in it. if you can tolerate the whistling then it’s not really hurting anything other than your ears.

Can you fix it? Likely not. These cards are not built to be user serviceable and finding out what the problem actually is would probably take a very skilled engineer many hours.

uhh… so you say its my mobo?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hate to differ, but coil whine is entirely normal. It's totally unavoidable noise crested by harmonics (as said) that reach an inductors resonant frequency. That frequency is different for any component, even identical components can have different resonant frequencies, and as the current gets closer to that frequency, it gets louder and higher pitched. Most times it's inaudible, or so far from resonant that it's only barely audible when there's no fans or other noise producers running. Sometimes it's right where the clocks are on the gpu, which changes frequencies with loads, so comes and goes with different scenes or browser windows. Many vendors will slap a dab of epoxy on the inductors, to try and combat the vibrations.
Ahhh, so myb is my mobi problem?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not a problem in anything except your perception. Coil whine doesn't really hurt anything because it's always present. You just happen to be able to hear it at certain times.

Use a cardboard tube, like from a roll of paper towels or Christmas/birthday wrap. Stick it upto your ear and wander the other end around carefully! and slowly inside the pc, being careful of fan blades. That'll narrow down the area in question. It could be motherboard or gpu, there's enough planes and angles in that area of the board you are hearing bounced sound, not source sound.

Unless the psu is fan up, the sound will not be that noticeable inside, you'd hear it more from the gap between the desktop and case feet area.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
It's not a problem in anything except your perception. Coil whine doesn't really hurt anything because it's always present. You just happen to be able to hear it at certain times.

Use a cardboard tube, like from a roll of paper towels or Christmas/birthday wrap. Stick it upto your ear and wander the other end around carefully! and slowly inside the pc, being careful of fan blades. That'll narrow down the area in question. It could be motherboard or gpu, there's enough planes and angles in that area of the board you are hearing bounced sound, not source sound.

Unless the psu is fan up, the sound will not be that noticeable inside, you'd hear it more from the gap between the desktop and case feet area.

ok i will thanks,becouse i take out my gpu i connecr my monitor directly to my mobo,run some test,games ans there is no sound,so that mean my mobo is ok? Or?
If you ask for psu my psu is antec ea750g pro ec v2.4 buyed last year