[SOLVED] Coil Whine in games but not on Aida64 ?? [HELP]

dmgr14

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi!
Im getting a weird noise (probably coil whine) when im playing games.
It's weird because if i use Aida64 to stress my PC there's no noise. I tried stressing my GPU only, nothing, then i tried stressing everything (CPU, GPU, Disk etc) and still no noise!
It doesn't make any sense. Why do i get this noise only when im playing but if i use a stress software nothing happens ? I was monitoring my GPU while playing Battlefield 1 and on Aida64, i have high frequencies and usage on both, so i don't see what's going on...

Could someone help me ? I also have this video so you guys can hear it, thanks !

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X
16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz DDR4
Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
SSD M.2 Intel 660p 512GB

Solution
Whine is sound. Sound is frequency. Your games are hitting the right frequency in the coils to create the sound. The stress test is putting the frequency way too high, a dog could probably hear it, but it's beyond the range of your hearing. It's not all that uncommon in gpus but rare in other components since they aren't dealing with any harmonic of the 20Hz-20kHz bands, but frequencies in the MHz and GHz.

Some gpus seem to be more susceptible than others, it's more common in AMD gpus.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Whine is sound. Sound is frequency. Your games are hitting the right frequency in the coils to create the sound. The stress test is putting the frequency way too high, a dog could probably hear it, but it's beyond the range of your hearing. It's not all that uncommon in gpus but rare in other components since they aren't dealing with any harmonic of the 20Hz-20kHz bands, but frequencies in the MHz and GHz.

Some gpus seem to be more susceptible than others, it's more common in AMD gpus.

Solution