[SOLVED] Coil whine under load after 3 months

Oct 15, 2019
Hi!

I built a system with following components in June and was using it for deep learning without any problems. However, I started experiencing coil whine while training a deep learning model couple weeks ago. I'm using Ubuntu for deep learning but I get a similar noise when I'm playing games on Windows (not as much though). Initially I thought it was from the GPU and replaced my gpu but I am still experiencing the same issue. Right now, my best guess is the motherboard but I am hesitant to replace it. Since it is still under warranty, should I replace it? Did anyone experience this problem? Thanks!

GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Turbo 8G EVO, 8192 MB GDDR6
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A Gaming Mainboard Sockel 1151
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2,9 GHz
PSU: Seas Modular Prime Focus Modular (80 + Platinum) 850 Watts

Solution
Coil whine most of the time comes from the GPU. The next big possibility is PSU but I highly doubt that PSU has coil whine, I might be wrong though.

If possible remove your GPU and use the integrated graphics. That way you can be sure that the GPU is not the issue.
Coil whine most of the time comes from the GPU. The next big possibility is PSU but I highly doubt that PSU has coil whine, I might be wrong though.

If possible remove your GPU and use the integrated graphics. That way you can be sure that the GPU is not the issue.

Solution
Oct 15, 2019

Unfortunately, CPU does not have integrated graphics so that's not an option. I removed PSU from the case and moved it away to check the noise but it's not coming from the PSU.