Coil whine while HDD/SSD is under load

JorRorv

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hi, I get a very irritating coil whine for my system when the harddrive or SSD is under load. Its a high frequency noise that change frequency depending on computer load (eg. scrolling a web page). There is also a small amount of coil whine at all time, which I suspect originates from the same source.

I suspect the power supply, but the motherboard could also be the one to blame.

My setup:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair HX 520W
Samsung 850 Pro
Western Digital 4 TB green

Anyone with knowledge about similar problems, knows how to fix it?

Solution
Having two rails will help to keep coil whine from developing as it splits amperage draw onto two separate circuits, thus reducing variations of power draw across the primary coil.

iXeon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
well the first thing to consider is the age of the motherboard and other components. as you may know the capacitors on the main board and all other components has a life time depending on the built quality and brand and size the first capacitors to consider is the CPU side capacitors of the motherboard if the sound came from there you may probably contact warranty for that.if the sound came from the PSU you should immediately disconnect the PSU and buy a new one because if it comes from the PSU it could be it's regulating capacitors being damaged and that's a warning for all other components in the computer.if it comes from the HDD sometimes it's the fast spinning of the layers that make the sound but if it's unusual it could be from bad sector and that kind of problems. the SSD however would not make a sound so the sound being from the SSD is less expected then other components.

JorRorv

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Thanks for the answere. It have been like this for a long time. I decided I wanted to fix the problem of noise from my computer, so I started by replacing the CPU fan that had a broken bearing. Then the coil whine was the most dominating noise. I did listen to the computer while running harddrive benchmark, and it sounded like the noise came from the powersuply. I have ordered a new one, as the PSU have probably done it's job. It have been running for about eight years, where it served almost half a year as an bitcoin miner :p

I hope the source to the coil whine was just the PSU, as it is very hard to get hands on a new socket 1155 motherboard.

JorRorv

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Thanks for the recomendations. I did order an RM650i to get the upgraded fan bearing + dual rail (dont even know what that means). The price was about the same at my favourite store.

I can also add that I added two Noctua NF-S12A PWM case fans, as that was probably my next source of noise.