[SOLVED] Cold storage in Pelican Case ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toitenhow

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I am looking for cold storage for 3.5" HDDs into a Pelican Case and would like to know what folk think, and if they have their own solutions ?

The case I am looking at is the 1300, which gives 2.5mm (1") of sponge either end of the HDD, whilst the other dimensions are better catered for.

The cases are tough as nails, but I wonder what the impact protection would be like for the HDD inside?

nb. foam inserts will be used.

Solution
Hard drives are actually more impact resistant, in the OFF condition, than people think.
Generally a 300g point load.

Think of how a drive is shipped from the factory to your house. Cardboard box and bubble wrap.

A sturdy hardshell case (Pelican or similar) and foam padding, they will be fine.

kanewolf

Titan
I am looking for cold storage for 3.5" HDDs into a Pelican Case and would like to know what folk think, and if they have their own solutions ?

The case I am looking at is the 1300, which gives 2.5mm (1") of sponge either end of the HDD, whilst the other dimensions are better catered for.

The cases are tough as nails, but I wonder what the impact protection would be like for the HDD inside?

nb. foam inserts will be used.
There are cases that are specifically made for disk storage. They probably start as pelican cases, but the Turtle case folks -- https://turtlecase.com/ put custom foam.
I have used the turtle cases at work to ship disk drives full of data.

USAFRet

Titan
Hard drives are actually more impact resistant, in the OFF condition, than people think.
Generally a 300g point load.

Think of how a drive is shipped from the factory to your house. Cardboard box and bubble wrap.

A sturdy hardshell case (Pelican or similar) and foam padding, they will be fine.

Reactions: toitenhow
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts