collectables: do they occupy the same nodes as harvestables?

Does anyone know one way or another? I was told they did early on, but I
can't find anything via google as it's so flooded with spammers trying to
sell eq2 stuff who have flooded google's engine with their rubbish. There's
nothing i can find in the online help, which doesn't really surprise me as
it is rather useless generally.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:26:13 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

>Does anyone know one way or another? I was told they did early on, but I
>can't find anything via google as it's so flooded with spammers trying to
>sell eq2 stuff who have flooded google's engine with their rubbish. There's
>nothing i can find in the online help, which doesn't really surprise me as
>it is rather useless generally.

The collectables will have a little glow on the ground with a question
mark above it when you get close enough. They do not share nodes with
resources.

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Test
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Test

Wulfbones

"Wulfbones" <wulfbones@live-oak.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:26:13 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know one way or another? I was told they did early on, but I
> >can't find anything via google as it's so flooded with spammers trying to
> >sell eq2 stuff who have flooded google's engine with their rubbish.
There's
> >nothing i can find in the online help, which doesn't really surprise me
as
> >it is rather useless generally.
> >
> The collectables will have a little glow on the ground with a question
> mark above it when you get close enough. They do not share nodes with
> resources.

How do you know? I recall vividly that it was the accepted wisdom that they
did when eq2 launched, and I can't find anything concrete on the developer's
site, although i can say the next patch looks like a doozy...

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:07:40 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

>"Wulfbones" <wulfbones@live-oak.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:26:13 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know one way or another? I was told they did early on, but I
>> >can't find anything via google as it's so flooded with spammers trying to
>> >sell eq2 stuff who have flooded google's engine with their rubbish.
>There's
>> >nothing i can find in the online help, which doesn't really surprise me
>as
>> >it is rather useless generally.
>> >
>> The collectables will have a little glow on the ground with a question
>> mark above it when you get close enough. They do not share nodes with
>> resources.
>>

>How do you know? I recall vividly that it was the accepted wisdom that they
>did when eq2 launched, and I can't find anything concrete on the developer's
>site, although i can say the next patch looks like a doozy...

They may spawn in the same location as a node for a resource but they
do not share nodes with resources. If you can harvest a resources from
a shrub, root, shroom, log or mineral you will never get a collectable
from that node. When you deplete that node and something else spawns
in that location it may indeed be a collectable but you will not get a
resource from a question mark or a collectable from a resource node.

When I talked in game with a QA rep we both called what resources were
harvested from resource nodes. I was asking about the latest patch on
test that had resource nodes not being depleted by an unsucessful
attempt. You will always get thre items from a node no matter how many
tries it takes. Not sure when that will hit live but it's been real
nice on harvesting. Skillups in harvesting have really been increased
too.

One node gave me 8 skillups because I kept getting nothing on several
tries :)
--

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:07:40 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

<sniP>
> They may spawn in the same location as a node for a resource but they
> do not share nodes with resources. If you can harvest a resources from
> a shrub, root, shroom, log or mineral you will never get a collectable
> from that node. When you deplete that node and something else spawns
> in that location it may indeed be a collectable but you will not get a
> resource from a question mark or a collectable from a resource node.

Ok, but that sounds to me that clearing the resource node has a chance of
generating question marks?

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:02:13 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

>"Wulfbones" <wulfbones@live-oak.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:07:40 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>>

><sniP>
>> They may spawn in the same location as a node for a resource but they
>> do not share nodes with resources. If you can harvest a resources from
>> a shrub, root, shroom, log or mineral you will never get a collectable
>> from that node. When you deplete that node and something else spawns
>> in that location it may indeed be a collectable but you will not get a
>> resource from a question mark or a collectable from a resource node.
>
>Ok, but that sounds to me that clearing the resource node has a chance of
>generating question marks?

I'm not sure of that. It seems to me that the question marks are a bit
seperate from the resource nodes. I've gone into areas and cleared the
resources several times without spawning any question marks. Spent 3
or 4 hours harvesting one day in TS and no question marks spawned in
the area I was harvesting. I've seen them in that area at other times
but if I cleared them and they didn't spawn in a few minutes they were
gone until cleared in another area.
--

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:02:13 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>

> >"Wulfbones" <wulfbones@live-oak.com> wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:07:40 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
> >>

> ><sniP>
> >> They may spawn in the same location as a node for a resource but they
> >> do not share nodes with resources. If you can harvest a resources from
> >> a shrub, root, shroom, log or mineral you will never get a collectable
> >> from that node. When you deplete that node and something else spawns
> >> in that location it may indeed be a collectable but you will not get a
> >> resource from a question mark or a collectable from a resource node.
> >
> >Ok, but that sounds to me that clearing the resource node has a chance of
> >generating question marks?
> >
> I'm not sure of that. It seems to me that the question marks are a bit
> seperate from the resource nodes. I've gone into areas and cleared the
> resources several times without spawning any question marks. Spent 3
> or 4 hours harvesting one day in TS and no question marks spawned in
> the area I was harvesting. I've seen them in that area at other times
> but if I cleared them and they didn't spawn in a few minutes they were
> gone until cleared in another area.
> --
> Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Test
> Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Test
> WUlfkiller Gnome Warrior Qeynos Test
> Wulffy Gnome Summoner Qeynos Test
>
> Wulfbones

Whereas I've gotten almost all my freeport moths in sunken city by clearing
the nodes, in those times i logged in after a patch and had the zone to
myself. It's very difficult to keep the zone in a state you can test it
however. I guess ultimately only the devs or hackers know for sure, but I'm
willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the people i see running from
"?" to "?" afk. Mind you, in my googling i found that there's a program
people buy that controls the toon so that it does exactly that, ad
infinitum.

And here i was, foolishly playing the game by the rules. Silly me.

Hope SOE puts some trap in that finds players using this software and bans
their account, although i guess with game cards controlling bad behaviour is
difficult. Anonymity equals no accountability. Still, sending them back to
the isle would have some effect, surely!

>Whereas I've gotten almost all my freeport moths in sunken city by
clearing
>the nodes, in those times i logged in after a patch and had the zone
>myself. It's very difficult to keep the zone in a state you can test
it
>however. I guess ultimately only the devs or hackers know for sure,
but I'm
>willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the people i see running
from
>"?" to "?" afk

Well I've found collectables in Stormhold and Blackbarrow where there
are no resource nodes. So, they can't be 100% linked.

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> >Whereas I've gotten almost all my freeport moths in sunken city by
> clearing
> >the nodes, in those times i logged in after a patch and had the zone
> >myself. It's very difficult to keep the zone in a state you can test
> it
> >however. I guess ultimately only the devs or hackers know for sure,
> but I'm
> >willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the people i see running
> from
> >"?" to "?" afk
>
> Well I've found collectables in Stormhold and Blackbarrow where there
> are no resource nodes. So, they can't be 100% linked.

But say every node is a set, the list of members is {(fish), (wood),
(medicine), (collectable), (metal)} for example. The algorithm could have
the resources appear randomly, then check from the terrain type to see which
of members to choose from. Some zones might only have (collectable) to
choose from but the underlying code might be identical.

I think the game "civilisation" used to do something like that.

I guess the way a hacker would check is to see if removing a collectible
ever increases the number of resource nodes. I know there are hackers
writing programs that can find nodes and harvest automatically so presumably
someone knows the answer. They may be keeping quiet to avoid getting banned
however.