Collection of Conroe Data. (Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme!)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
sure sounds like the Intel when it was changing to ddr2. It really did not bump it much. But it change a better ram chips. It still cracks me up on amd fanboys when they seen that. But Now it Intel fanboys to start. Please know this it a up and down war with amd and Intel. And we need that.

Definately. competition creates better products and keeps the prices down. Nothing better for the consumer then a good little competitive war. Problem is Intel hasn't been competing much recently. So this is a good thing.

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Yep, AMD woke the sleeping giant alright...too bad it retaliated with a vengence!!!

Well, at least the bystanders get a great show, and great products :D

toodles

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
this may seem like a really stupid question. But i got a deal on a brand new pent d 930 (3.0ghz) 65nm chip. My question is will the new conroe mb;s work with the 900 series 65nm chips. And secondly is the slower conroe chips going to outperform my 930chip? the 2.66ghz chip looks nice but its also got a nice pricetag. I would only like to spend 200-230 on a chip and do you guys think the conroe chips will outperform my 930? and lastly:) are the conroe motherboards supposed to hit the market before the chip itself or no? I am kinda holding off on building until i get these answers.

also is conroe gonna use 667mhz ddr2 or only 800mhz?

toodles

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Yeah i dont want an intel motherboard though. I will most likely get an asus mb or something with the nforce590. I thought conroe was running on 65nm chips? i thought that was the whole point of the 65nm pent d chips was to start rolling out everything at 65nm.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
es, if you go 975x, 975x will support Conroe and the 930 D chip. 965 chipset is coming out (Broadwater, which is made on 90 nm technlogy) and will be able to do 1333 MHz FSB IIRC.

Actually, only the latest revision will. I think they are called 304.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Q1.Pricing will there be a conroe or core duo 2 chip as there called now available for under €300 that will perform better than amd fx57 and will be it released

According to one Chinese benchmark, which is here: http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/evalue/evalue/cpu/0605/791941.html

the 2.13GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB E6400 is FASTER, by often 10% than Athlon FX-60, and also beats that same chip at 2.8GHz, in majority of the benchmarks. The price for the chip is $249. Which is lower than you currency I think. Is that Pounds or Euro btw??

What is the temp and power usage like

Power usage is not verified for Conroe. However, for the server version, Woodcrest, is lower in power in load and idle compared to Opteron system WITHOUT power management technology like DBS enabled.

Temperature, according to the Chinese site, and by the translator, is that they were able to run it passively with the HSF that the Athlon 64 FX used.

toodles

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
do you have any clue when asus will be rolling out there 65nm conroe mb's? and do u know if they will support the pent d 900 series?

or do you think i should sell my pent d 930 chip? i mean if i can spend about 200 on a conroe chip that will out perform it i might as well. But the reviews of the 930 seem to be good since its the 65nm and running cooler. also the cheaper conroe chips 250 and less are only 2mb cache. only the 2.4ghz+ are running with 4megs and they are $300+ it looks like.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
New May 25, 2006 Records:
The B0 Conroes are Overclocking Monsters! Everything they throw at it, this chip takes it in stride. No cold bugs to be found! Coolaler is runing a new clockgen, fsb overclock, etc.. and is reaching 4.6GHz overclocks!
SuperPi_1M: 11.359 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_2M: 28.812 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_4M: 1:08.625 <-- new world record
SuperPi_8M: 2:35.375 <-- new world record
SuperPi_16M: 5:45.703 <-- new world record
SuperPi_32M: 12:29.312 <-- new world record
Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1471031&postcount=127

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
11.359 seconds <-- new world record

SuperPi, what does it mean?

I have been reading this post for quite some time. Very impressive. I am conjured up to obtaining Conroe Extreme. The 80% re-designed chips will have so much cache.

my question is this:

It's been rumored that turning 'off' one of the two cores to utilize all of the cache (once possible) will boost some unique tasks.

I am wondering if the task of rendering/'GL glide' is one of these tasks or is it still unknown what the shuting off a core is for?...

and if so, once overclocked (if possible) will the one core that is left 'on' be able to do this unique task even faster?

http://www.awakenedsuccess.com/coppermine.jpg

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
only the 2.4ghz+ are running with 4megs and they are $300+ it looks like.

Nope, the original rumors were wrong. Go to the post I put on Page 12 and see the link. You will also notice that E6400's, the 2.13GHz, are all 4MB L2 versions from Xtremesystems. You will also see that E6400 is also 4MB L2 in the link I put. E6400 is only $249. It's the E6300 that's 2MB L2, and that's 1.86GHz. The site even has pricing page.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
11.359 seconds <-- new world record

SuperPi, what does it mean?
SuperPi is a popular benchmark among overclockers because it is a very clear indication of a chip's single threaded computational power, which is what overclockers are trying to optimize. SuperPi_1M computes the first 1 million digits of Pi, etc... up to SuperPi_32M which is the first 32M digits.

It used to be that hitting 20 seconds for SuperPi_1M and 30 minutes for SuperPi_32M was great, but the Conroe chip is rewritting the record books.

my question is this:

It's been rumored that turning 'off' one of the two cores to utilize all of the cache (once possible) will boost some unique tasks.

I am wondering if the task of rendering/'GL glide' is one of these tasks or is it still unknown what the shuting off a core is for?...

and if so, once overclocked (if possible) will the one core that is left 'on' be able to do this unique task even faster?
This is indeed a rumor that is starting to look more and more true. It is unclear how much of an effect turing one core off has on overclocking stability though, since the whole chip seems to rock solid and because of the Intel Smart Cache, a single core will get access to the whole cache anyways dynamically when it is the only one under load (like in these single threaded workloads).

Cheers!

Jean-Coutu

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
The Conroe surprise me because he is more good than the AMD Athlon 64, it cost 1 000$ and the Conroe cost less than the AMD Athlon 64 for 49% more performance. The price is very no much.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
This is indeed a rumor that is starting to look more and more true. It is unclear how much of an effect turing one core off has on overclocking stability though, since the whole chip seems to rock solid and because of the Intel Smart Cache, a single core will get access to the whole cache anyways dynamically when it is the only one under load (like in these single threaded workloads).

Performance shouldn't matter, but you might get better OC as shown by Xtremesystems.

y2kdos

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Q1.Pricing will there be a conroe or core duo 2 chip as there called now available for under €300 that will perform better than amd fx57 and will be it released

According to one Chinese benchmark, which is here: http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/evalue/evalue/cpu/0605/791941.html

the 2.13GHz/4MB L2/1066MHz FSB E6400 is FASTER, by often 10% than Athlon FX-60, and also beats that same chip at 2.8GHz, in majority of the benchmarks. The price for the chip is $249. Which is lower than you currency I think. Is that Pounds or Euro btw??

What is the temp and power usage like

Power usage is not verified for Conroe. However, for the server version, Woodcrest, is lower in power in load and idle compared to Opteron system WITHOUT power management technology like DBS enabled.

Temperature, according to the Chinese site, and by the translator, is that they were able to run it passively with the HSF that the Athlon 64 FX used.

Thanks man for the info,the conroe really does look cool fx60 performance for €200

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Boy o boy would I ever hate to be an amd fan right now...... 2.0 ghz overclock thats just insane, how did intel do it.... the conroe is unrealistically good.

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
"It used to be that hitting 20 seconds for SuperPi_1M and 30 minutes for SuperPi_32M was great, but the Conroe chip is rewritting the record books." <-iterations

Thanks for the heads up on that. What do I use to calculate SuperPi?

What do you think the Quad core at Q1 of 2007 will do with these number?
I'm expecting something drastic.
What platform will it be using?
Just drop it into the newly purchaed 965x?

My comp...
http://www.awakenedsuccess.com/coppermine.jpg

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

Performance shouldn't matter, but you might get better OC as shown by Xtremesystems.
This is indeed possible, but I thought I should note that in the best overclock seen so far (4.6GHz) both cores were active.

toodles

Distinguished
May 22, 2006

Nope, the original rumors were wrong. Go to the post I put on Page 12 and see the link. You will also notice that E6400's, the 2.13GHz, are all 4MB L2 versions from Xtremesystems. You will also see that E6400 is also 4MB L2 in the link I put. E6400 is only $249. It's the E6300 that's 2MB L2, and that's 1.86GHz. The site even has pricing page.

I believe its that same site or maybe somewhere else i also read that is a sample chip and when its finally in production it may only be 2MB.

I guess at this point i dont know if i should buy a MB for my pent d 930 chip and just use it for a few years and let the conroe develop. Or to be one of the first running conroe. Either way the computer i am on now may not even make it until july so i need to do something quick soon:).

toodles

Distinguished
May 22, 2006

I believe its that same site or maybe somewhere else i also read that is a sample chip and when its finally in production it may only be 2MB.

I guess at this point i dont know if i should buy a MB for my pent d 930 chip and just use it for a few years and let the conroe develop. Or to be one of the first running conroe. Either way the computer i am on now may not even make it until july so i need to do something quick soon:).

G

You just gotta download the superPi,

As for a quad core doing better, well that wont happen because SuperPi is to calculate Single threaded performance, so no matter how many cores you throw at it, it wont change the time...

G

NICE job Iterations! I also saw a graph that show extrapolated SuperPi time scaling with clock speed and a special thanks to you.

So yes very good job, im really exited about this cpu, encoding a DVD seams longer than ever. Im aiming for a september, back too school purchase, by that time we should know what ram and motherboard are the best pick too match this bad boy!

And where's MMM, heard he was'nt ban but jus not around. Oh well that thread is peacfull and thats good! just wondering what he might have to say except that super Pi fits entirely into the 4mb and thats why its so damn fast...

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
You just gotta download the superPi,

As for a quad core doing better, well that wont happen because SuperPi is to calculate Single threaded performance, so no matter how many cores you throw at it, it wont change the time...

Thank you!