College laptop replacement. Help with case?

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Good afternoon from college. I was hoping to get a laptop for christmas, but when comparing the 2200G to the mobile U, there was (of course) a notable difference. So it had me thinking.
"How much can I compact a desktop with that processor for a similar price?"

I think I've done a pretty sweet job! I've found a case with a VESA mount, so I only really have to carry around the monitor, I have the IGPU in the G, and 8GB of dual channel 3000Mhz memory (Because Ryzen ;^)).
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PhZgpG
Ignoring the monitor for now, and that cheap TFX PSU, I need help with this damn case.
This case is so perfect for what I'm after... and although it comes with a PSU, after checking the Corsair PSU Wattage Checker thingy, it turns out my system exceeds the wattage of the PSU in the case. Now, no matter how hard I looked, I genuinely, from the bottom of my heart could NOT find the form factor of the PSU, and so I felt it was about time I asked for help. I've had so many issues looking for cases as all VESA mountable ones are really expensive. This is the first time I've noticed a case which will snuggly fit my budget, and the wattage of an 'IPSU' isn't enough. Could someone help me find the form factor to replace it with a 300w or more PSU?
Thank you so much!

Solution
As a LAN PC it might be pretty neat, but I dont think I can recommend it for a college system.
Get a cheap laptop for notetaking and basic programs for class, and a decent desktop setup for the rest. You really shouldnt be doing anything in class that requires that beefy of a setup.

Or go with my personal choice, and just use a pen and paper in class and worry about the PC later.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

You're removed by Moderator , buy a laptop...

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Welcome to my spelling watch list.

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
What did I start? Literally, no, it isn't practical, but that isn't the point. I was going to get a Ryzen NUC, but none are available to consumer purchase. I didn't make it to be practical, But I made it to be practical as possible with the power of a desktop on a BUDGET. Laptops aren't 'budget'. Laptops are for light browsing, and work, unless you blow 700 quid on something which can capably game. If I'm going to get a second, more portable PC with decent specs, then that little extra effort is worth it to me. Okay?
Thank you Electo

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

ElectrO_90 has already summed up the issues with your idea. I mean what could possibly go wrong with lugging an unprotected monitor about in a backpack along with a couple of power cables and keyboard and mouse. That's gonna be one heavy ass bulky backpack...on the plus side it should provide great amusement for your classmates.
You're gonna end up with something that's not particularly portable or great at gaming.

OK smartie; go to the top. Now you can start learning the difference between poor spelling and a typographical error.

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Thank you so much! I understand it's a little flawed, but honestly the idea just intrigues me, as the power to portability ratio is always something fun to look into.

Another idea my friend helped me come up with is a windtunnel style briefcase PC. It's relatively difficulty, as I'd probably need to custom build the case. Thankfully he knows what he's doing in that department.
Okay Joey? How does that sound? ^

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
A briefcase PC, so essentially a really large bulky laptop but without the portability as you need to be beside power sockets, can't say as i'm sold on the idea. Buy a laptop for class/work and save up for a cheap gaming PC if you want to game. IMO your briefcase PC will very rapidly turn from 'look at the cool thing i made' to a pain in the ass as you realise how utterly impractical and compromised it is.

As a LAN PC it might be pretty neat, but I dont think I can recommend it for a college system.
Get a cheap laptop for notetaking and basic programs for class, and a decent desktop setup for the rest. You really shouldnt be doing anything in class that requires that beefy of a setup.

Or go with my personal choice, and just use a pen and paper in class and worry about the PC later.

Solution

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
To be honest, I'm really lazy, and I guess I just wanted something even remotely portable which can game well if ever I'm out somewhere where I can find an outlet. I saw the price of the laptop I originally wanted, looked up benchmarks and they were a bit of a disappointment. I'm not looking to run much, but things like GTA and Fallout 4. Nothing 2018 or 2017, but still a few triple A titles. Thank you so much for the friendly advice Saga, I really appreciate it, but Joey has made a good point. It being bulky wasn't going to be a big deal to me, but I'm starting to realise that If I was going for something along those lines, how difficult it would really be. I have no experience with power tools, and being on such a budget, I'll end up surpassing it by far. My PC right now is just so damn bulky and heavy, at least when I wanted to go over to my friends' places with my mATX case, I could carry it with the plastic handle on the top.
This is the laptop I was originally looking at.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-k505za-15-6-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-grey-10181702-pdt.html
And I guess I just saw the vega IGPU and expected something along the lines of the 2200G, only to be sorely mistaken. Any laptop with a dedicated GPU hits the 600+ mark, and I just can't do that.
Unless someone has something they recommend?
Again, thank you so much!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't refresh the page to see your comments, but yeah. I think I will settle on a laptop. Can I have some recommendations if there is anything you could find that may be more powerful that the one I chose? Preferably under £400. Thank you so much, ahaha

that's not a bad laptop for school at all that you looked at, and if you swap in an SSD later as well an upgrade to 8GB, it would really be nice and snappy for school. my son has one similar, with ssd and fast boot, it boots in about 3 seconds from opening the lid.

try and get one with 8GB and an SSD

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0504sa-14-intel-core-i3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10180946-pdt.html

how's that HP, with 8Gb and an SSD for durability, less power consumption and crazy speeds

olihop1401

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

I checked Userbench, and that processor stacks up quite an amount better, buuuuuut it's sorta over my budget... Thank you so much for the suggestion though

TRENDING THREADS