Color Distortion Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Hello, I recently purchased an HP Elite e9180t desktop system. My video card is Nvidia Geforce GT 220. I was getting a color distortion problem where the colors on the screen used to get very distorted and the computer used to freeze up after that. Another problem I was getting was that sometimes the monitor all of a sudden used to go blank and the light went from blue to orange, it was getting no signal. Although when I used to restart the system manually, the problem used to go away and would only happen sometimes. Anyway I updated the graphic card drivers but that did not work, I contacted HP and they said the Graphics Card might be faulty, so they sent me a replacement which I received a few days ago. Just today the color distortion problem came back. Although the problem goes away once I restart the computer manually. Do you think this replacement card is also faulty or is it some other problem? I have also done a hardware diagnostic test and it passed everything. I have added an image link below to let you know how the screen looked when it was distorted.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/wildlion786/?action=view&current=IMG00037-20090823-1400.jpg

PC Configuration :-
Core i7 950 3.07 GHZ
Chipset Intel x58
Windows Vista 64bit SP2
8GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 220 1 GB
2 Hard drives (each 1 TB)

Regards
Adeel

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
anybody please? could it be my power supply, its 460w. btw the problem has not returned yet but i still wana know what caused it....

xzombeast

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
same thing happens to me... i think i have a 750w though http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/dday409/

ive been on the phone with dell for 5 hours and ran 10 hours of diagnostics. they say my hardware is fine. i say my video card is dying. they give me BS answers. but it might be an overheating issue

Insufficient cooling, dust, not plugged into the right slot. ive tried it all, have you?

evanschuck

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion e9180jp/CT with Nvidia GT220.
After troubleshooting the problem with an HP Tech it was determined that the video card was bad.
HP sent a replacement card which worked for a few hours, then the same problem returned.
I hope the problem goes away when Windows 7 comes out next month. Maybe it will have better drivers.
If you find a solution please share it.
Thank you

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
How long have you owned this pc? What type of environment is it in (A/C or Swamp Cooled). Are you a smoker or non-smoker? Is it dusty inside the machine?

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
HavoCnMe its a brand new system, there is no dust, the environment is cool, this problem although has not returned so far..

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
i had the same experience the same thing happened to me. when i first bought gtx275 it had that problem, so i talk to couple of representative from evga. first guy was an idiot, he said it was the ram. i know it was bull ephing ****. the second guy said it was defective and i rma it. got a new card a week later and work like a charm.

first i also thought it was a psu cuz i only had 400 watts then. now i learned that 400 watt is more than enough to run gtx275

dGeneral

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I purchased an HP Pavilion Elite e9105z in August with the Nvidia gt220 (part# 533212-001) and had the same intermittent video distortion out of the box. After weeks of this problem, I finally called HP support (Mumbai) and after 2 days and several hours of troubleshooting I received a replacement card on Wednesday. A tech was supposed to come to my home to replace the card, but said he couldn't make the scheduled time today. I called HP and they gave me permission to go ahead and replace the video card. The card doesn't have a vga port and doesn't fit in the case - wrong part # 533214-001. Will report again when and if I receive the correct replacement card.

G

I had the same problem with the HP p6150 returned to the shop and got a new one but same problem with dissortion.

Found the solution only with original drivers of HP it worked called HP for it but them #$@holes did not know the answer so download the original drivers for now maybe in the future the drivers of NVIDIA will work dont know why its so loosy but DOWNLOAD ORIGINAL DRIVERS of the HP site for the NVIDIA GT220

Replacement cards will not work cause this card has issues. :pfff:

solidstate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Hi, I have the same problem on my brand new HP Elite m9765uk with Nvidia Geforce GT 220. Absolutely the same symptoms and picture on monitor is the same as on your link. Have you managed to sort this problem? Maybe it makes sense to get better video card if GT 220 is so bad...

adeel420

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
downloading the drivers from HP helped resolved my problem. you should do that too, hopefully it will solve the problem, if not then your card is defective.

gclhoutx

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I currently have the same issue your having. However I have pinpointed to when mine happens. Mine usually happens after I have been watching any type of lengthy media file through any media player. I'm trying to go through the CBTNuggets CCNA video course and after just watching the first section before it finishes the video starts to distort. Where the cursor and everything else gets all out of sync. Shortly after the PC either locks up or just reboots itself, yet the video is normal after the PC reboots.

I currently have:
EVGA Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6580 @ 3.00GHz
8.00GB
Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS service pack 2
Thermal Lake 1000 Watt Power Supply
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 in SLI mode

Originally I had a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

I've tried it with 5 different Nvidia video cards and still have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS