Question Color scheme changes when I alt+tab from desktop view to in-game view?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I am using an upstar TV with an HDMI cable for my computer. In recent months, there is this weird phenomenon for some games where when I alt+tab from the desktop view (which has a normal color scheme) to the in-game view, I get a sort of blue/light bronze color scheme in-game, or crazy psychedelic colors.

Both of these events are represented in linked images below. You can tap on each image to view it in greater detail.

Spiritfarer - Weird blue/copper color scheme in-game

The first image at the link below is the desktop view of the game. I simply move my mouse over the thumbnail of the game in the taskbar and can view it full screen in the correct colors from my desktop.

The second image is the in-game view of the game. These are the colors I get as soon as I click on the full screen thumbnail view and enter the game. There is an immediate change.

2 Images

https://postimg.cc/gallery/HCZDgyv

Grey Block - Psychedelic color scheme in-game

This desktop vs. in-game view has a different effect on other games as shown in the screenshot below. This is the in-game menu for the game Grey Block. You can see how the in-game view is psychedelic looking and the desktop view, the full screen thumbnail view, is normal.

2 Images

https://postimg.cc/gallery/J7pF0qs

For some games, neither of these color change problems are an issue. But, for other games like Killing Floor 2 or Generation Zero, when the blue/copper color scheme problem appears, I can alt+tab back and forth a few times and actually switch it up so the blue/copper color scheme shows for my desktop view and the normal color scheme shows for my in-game view. I then have to alt+tab a few times again to make it so my desktop view has normal colors once I have finished playing the game.

I hope all these details help everyone to diagnose and solve this problem for me. So far, I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere, even among more seasoned people with technical savvy. Please help! :)

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Which model Upstar TV ? Age?

Are you able to try another known working HDMI cable?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Which model Upstar TV ? Age?

Are you able to try another known working HDMI cable?

Hello. My PC specs are below. The TV is maybe 7 years old. LED HDTV. Model is P32EA8.

Had a new HDMI cable and tried it and got the same issues.

Lenovo HP - 6 years old. Very good condition.
C Drive has about 480 gigs left.
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD A10-7800 73 °C
Kaveri 28nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
LENOVO Bantry CRB (P0) 47 °C
Graphics
DLED32 (1360x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Lenovo) 22 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA ) 32 °C
Optical Drives
PLDS DVD-RW DH16AFSH
Audio
Digital Power Station

Ralston18

Titan
Which specific model Lenovo/HP?

History of heavy gaming use?

Wondering about that AMD CPU temperature - 73 C

Temperature is slightly over max as I understand the specs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._quad_core_a10_7800_3_5ghz_desktop.html/specs

Of concern especially if the CPU runs continuously over max - even just a bit over....

Just for the record: Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that correspond with the color/display problems. Or when changes occur one way or another.

Entries captured when playing Killing Floor or Generation Zero.

But do not appear when other games are played.

Keep an eye on temperatures.

Also (as always should be done) be sure to have all important data backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the host computer.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Which specific model Lenovo/HP?

History of heavy gaming use?

Wondering about that AMD CPU temperature - 73 C

Temperature is slightly over max as I understand the specs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._quad_core_a10_7800_3_5ghz_desktop.html/specs

Of concern especially if the CPU runs continuously over max - even just a bit over....

Just for the record: Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that correspond with the color/display problems. Or when changes occur one way or another.

Entries captured when playing Killing Floor or Generation Zero.

But do not appear when other games are played.

Keep an eye on temperatures.

Also (as always should be done) be sure to have all important data backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the host computer.

The model was listed above in the mess of data.
Model is P32EA8.

Temp is usually 60-65 when gaming. I doubt that's it.

Reliability History and Event Viewer are vague at best regarding any issue. Nothing jumps out there ever.

No history of heavy gaming use. Would that affect the color scheme switching so consistently? Do you think the GPU is worn out and it is causing the system to select a Blue Yellow color scheme over the usual Red Green Blue one?

Has the previous information I have shared indicated any issues outside of the Graphics Card or a Windows Update causing the issue?

Ralston18

Titan
P32EA8 - that is the TV/monitor.

Which model computer?

Where the problem occurs with some games but not other games that suggests to me that some support requirement is not being met.

The support requirement could be hardware, software, or configuration.

Look at the hardware specs for the games you play. Most software provides a listing in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimal and you do want as must "best" as you can afford.

As of now, the difference is in the game(s) that are being played.

What other differences exist?

Question: RAM = 12 GB - correct? What configuration?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I am not sure how graphics quality in a game translates into a blue/yellow color base vs a red/green/blue color base?

The model of my computer is 90BG003JUS.

Also, I tried my PC using another TV with an HDMI and then a new Computer Monitor with a VGA that I have. The blue/yellow color issue perists so it is probably my graphics card? Just hoping it isn't Windows 10 and some update causing the issue because then a new graphics card won't do a thing.