News Colorful iGame RTX 3080 Vulkan Review

Jim90

Distinguished
"CONS: not available anywhere" :giggle:
I realise tech review sites have to keep Nvidia happy for fear of loosing future immediate access, but this has long, long passed the definition of a joke. Still, it's nice to see tom's reflecting this. Well done!

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Generally once a week, usually Th-Sat there will be a limited availability of 3070s and 3090s at my local Microcenter. Haven't seen 3080s in a quite a while however. Makes me wonder if the reason is that the release of 3080s are being delayed until ready for inclusion of the additional memory for 3080ti at higher price?

The enhanced cooled limited availability 3070 ($680-720) and 3090 ($2,028) are listed for prices 35%+ higher than the original release announced base price. Can't all be tariff on Chinese manufactured products as that was supposed to be 28%????

Makes me glad I upgraded to a 2080 super in 8/2019 @ $739.

Last edited:
Generally once a week, usually Th-Sat there will be a limited availability of 3070s and 3090s at my local Microcenter. Haven't seen 3080s in a quite a while however. Makes me wonder if the reason is that the release of 3080s are being delayed until ready for inclusion of the additional memory for 3080ti at higher price?

The enhanced cooled limited availability 3070 ($680-720) and 3090 ($2,028) are listed for prices 35%+ higher than the original release announced base price. Can't all be tariff on Chinese manufactured products as that was supposed to be 28%????

Makes me glad I upgraded to a 2080 super in 8/2019 @ $739.

My guess is the scarcity of the 3080 is other factors. Only the 3080 & 3090 use GDDR6X while the lower cards use GDDR6. I’ve read there are shortages of both but GDDR6X has greater shortages. I expect most of what is available is going into the cards with the higher profit margins, the 3090.

Also from what I read the 3080Ti has been delayed indefinitely. My guess is they don’t have sufficient VRAM supply to justify a 20GB card with an expected price of only 2/3 the 3090. I believe the low vram given to the 3070 & 3080 was an attempt to get the most out of vram supplies. For the 3080 going to 12gb would have required 20% more GDRR6X and if not available that means manufacturing 20% fewer cards. The only reason the 3090 is 24gb is NVidia don’t class it as a gaming gpu but as a Titan replacement for productivity applications and it’s essential to have this amount.

Reactions: panathas

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
My guess is the scarcity of the 3080 is other factors. Only the 3080 & 3090 use GDDR6X while the lower cards use GDDR6. I’ve read there are shortages of both but GDDR6X has greater shortages. I expect most of what is available is going into the cards with the higher profit margins, the 3090.

Also from what I read the 3080Ti has been delayed indefinitely. My guess is they don’t have sufficient VRAM supply to justify a 20GB card with an expected price of only 2/3 the 3090. I believe the low vram given to the 3070 & 3080 was an attempt to get the most out of vram supplies. For the 3080 going to 12gb would have required 20% more GDRR6X and if not available that means manufacturing 20% fewer cards. The only reason the 3090 is 24gb is NVidia don’t class it as a gaming gpu but as a Titan replacement for productivity applications and it’s essential to have this amount.
Don't have any info on vram supply so certainly not going to disagree with you on that.

However, I think the specs of the original 3080 were designed to be the ideal technical match for a 4k@60hz or 2k @ 144hz monitor at a competitive price not knowing what AMD's exact specs and pricing were going to be. My guess is that Nvidia just feels the gap between the 3080 @ 10gb of vram and the 6800xt with 16gb was just too large for competing cards in the market place despite essentially equivalent fps and AMD not being able to deliver as full of eye candy. Nvidia doesn't want equivalency in its high end cards it wants dominance to defend its market share.

At this time if you are going to purchase a 4k@144hz , 5k or 6k monitor @ $1300++++++ you are going to want the max 3090 specs performance to get the most out of that high priced monitor, not settle for even a 3080ti or super whatever that doesn't get maximum current technological performance.

Reactions: sizzling

woot

Distinguished
Why is the lack of availability listed as a minus in this review??, how is that an intrinsic property of the product being reviewed? its the video cards or nvidias fault that parts are hard to get?

InvalidError

Titan
Why is the lack of availability listed as a minus in this review??, how is that an intrinsic property of the product being reviewed? its the video cards or nvidias fault that parts are hard to get?
The point of reviews is to tell consumer what the product is like and many reviewers are annoyed that they are reviewing products nobody can actually buy at anywhere near the MSRP they were reviewed at if at all. Availability may not be a property of the product itself but meme-worthy availability at the time of launch will certainly be a characteristic of how 3000-series will be remembered.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
The point of reviews is to tell consumer what the product is like and many reviewers are annoyed that they are reviewing products nobody can actually buy at anywhere near the MSRP they were reviewed at if at all. Availability may not be a property of the product itself but meme-worthy availability at the time of launch will certainly be a characteristic of how 3000-series will be remembered.
At least the Nvidia 3090 and 3070 generally appear in limited availability every weekend at local Microcenter for inflated prices. The 3080---has been a no show for a long time.

Until this weekend I assumed the new AMD 6000 series GPUs and 5000 CPU series only appeared in Lisa Su's dreams but then a limited availability of 6800xt, 6800 GPU and 5600X actually made an appearance locally. The AMD GPU retail pricing was just as inflated as Nvidia.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS