News Colorful's $4,999 RTX 3090 Card is an Overclocker's Dream

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
Colorful RTX 3090 is an overpriced Dream. Selling a $1500 MSRP GPU for $5000 yields up to a $4000 profit. A scalper with over a thousand of those makes an easy several million bucks with minimal effort. Just one, That's a sale that can buy you a supercomputing rig.

InvalidError

Titan
It would be an OC dream if it was $800, which would be close to its actual gaming value.
The perception of model tiers and price points is going out the window with all of the re-branding and re-pricing that has occurred in recent years, especially with the latest round of scalping followed by manufacturers deciding to embrace the new grossly inflated price points.

Unless we get a viable 3rd dGPU manufacturer capable of manufacturing enough volume to pose a credible threat to AMD and Nvidia and drive prices down, we'll be stuck with soaring prices. Based on DG2 rumors and leaks so far, I wouldn't count it as viable or meaningful volume yet. If the 3M GDDR6 order rumor is true, then Intel may only be planning to manufacture around 500k cards.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Colorful RTX 3090 is an overpriced Dream. Selling a $1500 MSRP GPU for $5000 yields up to a $4000 profit. A scalper with over a thousand of those makes an easy several million bucks with minimal effort. Just one, That's a sale that can buy you a supercomputing rig.

Haha, hope you know that manufacturing/shipping cost has increased drastically this 1 1/2yrs.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The dream became a nightmare after realizing the price tag. Reality check, RTX 3090 MSRP @ 1499, vs this at 4999? I might as well buy 2 and run SLI if possible. Not only will 2x RTX 3090 be cheaper, I think the power draw between this overpriced RTX 3090 and 2x "normal" RTX 3090 may not differ that much since I saw this,

Colorful has set the thermal limit for the iGame GeForce RTX 3090 Kudan to 500W. That's 43% (150W) higher than Nvidia's reference specifications for the GeForce RTX 3090. With these overclocking-oriented graphics cards, thermal limits are pointless since there is always modified firmware floating around that increases the threshold to 1000W.

$5K?

LOL!

Perhaps ....if it came with my case, CPU, mainboard, 64 GB of RAM, and three each NVME SSDs of choice, a soundcard., and 75" 4k TV. (Not that anyone needs a soundcard, but, if I were spending $5k, I think I'd want one!)

A 3090 overclocked to around 2Ghz will tend to only raise actual game performance by around 5% or so compared to a reference-clocked card, so I would hardly say that makes for an "overclockers dream". One is unlikely to notice any perceptible performance difference between this card and any other 3090. Even a 3080 should perform relatively similar.

Paying any significant premium for an overclocked card tends to be a waste. And even when buying from a scalper in the current market, new 3090s are readily available for around half that price.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
People buying these will be paying for the aesthetics and exclusivity, not the performance. To each their own. One good thing about the cost is that anyone who wants one, won't be competing with miners for them.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
A 3090 overclocked to around 2Ghz will tend to only raise actual game performance by around 5% or so compared to a reference-clocked card, so I would hardly say that makes for an "overclockers dream". One is unlikely to notice any perceptible performance difference between this card and any other 3090. Even a 3080 should perform relatively similar.

Paying any significant premium for an overclocked card tends to be a waste. And even when buying from a scalper in the current market, new 3090s are readily available for around half that price.
These sorts of cards are a waste of resources in my opinion. They are produced for maybe 0.0000001% of the population, just for the sake of pushing the clockspeed limit, beat some record, then it likely end up destroyed by the overclocking feat, or in someone's computer running no faster than any other RTX 3090 out there. Performance improvement over other RTX 3090 out there is negligible and those crazy overclock obviously don't work with whatever air cooling solution they implement on it.

Reactions: Krotow