Colorful's GTX 1080 Has A Founder's Edition Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKAdoubleA

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Founders Edition doesn't mean anything except for a reference cooler design. No better overclocking ability or cherry picked bin's. One could argue its LESS overclockable then other designed fan shrouds.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Definitely be waiting for better cooler options to turn up and hopefully for lower prices. With my Vive arriving next Friday I'll probably be looking to upgrade from the 970 I'm currently running.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Not buying from another Chinese 'kill other competition by driving prices down with slave workers' company and special editions are usually for suckers.

I think the whole "founders edition" branding exemplifies Nvidia's attitude towards it's customers. Pay up and we'll give you something mediocre only so we can heavily encourage you to upgrade the next year with poor performance thanks to GameWorks. Yay Nvidia!

norgeek

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Founders Edition doesn't mean anything except for a reference cooler design. No better overclocking ability or cherry picked bin's. One could argue its LESS overclockable then other designed fan shrouds.

I really wish the gaming media would just stop spouting this gibberish. "premium components" and "better overclocking potential" my behind, Founders Edition IS the stock 1080 reference card.

And yeah, undoubtedly the least overclockable cooler-design we'll see on non-laptop 1080's.

This isn't always true.
My 7 years old GTX275 Twin Frozr OC edition, still works great. :D

This isn't always true.

No, the PCB is better designed, but their coolers are a joke. For example, the PCS+ from powercolor offer 25C below the reference cooler. I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

True some companies make garbage, however MSI, XFX HIS and EVGA are making great cards. I would even mention Saphire...

When we SEE that it's actually a NEW cooler, with something special about it's performance, then we'll revisit the matter. In the meantime, aside from some small aesthetic design changes, it doesn't look much if any different than the reference coolers that have been used for the last two generations, at least.

This isn't always true.

No, the PCB is better designed, but their coolers are a joke. For example, the PCS+ from powercolor offer 25C below the reference cooler. I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

True some companies make garbage, however MSI, XFX HIS and EVGA are making great cards. I would even mention Saphire...

Did you not check out the link I posted with the lower GPU temps and unacceptable VRM temperatures? A cool GPU is not the entire story when it comes to happy long lasting video cards.

Your link has no meaning, since AMD didn't have reference coolers for R9 3xx series.
On the other hand check this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-15.html
Non reference GPUs have better GPU and better VRAM temps than one of the best reference coolers.

The real news will be their none founders addition coolers. Nvidia is leaving these none founders additions solely in the hands of its AIB's. I want to hear of the extream versions with dual 8 pin power. Can they hit 2.5GHz?

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
They should just be honest and call it the sucker edition. I could understand it if it was a high binned chip or something. But it doesnt appear to be anything special.

It's of course hard/impossible to draw any real conclusions without benchmarks, and measuring temp/power draw. But ill bet its just the sucker edition.

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
What worries me in all this reference being 100$ more then aftermarket solutions is that you will get aftermarket at the same price tag as reference/ founders instead of suggested retail price. I want a card to be able to play witcher 3 new upcoming dlc in fhd 144hz at about 120+ fps which is impossible at the moment ... Vr not sure is worth right now but also 3 monitor setup at 144hz 1080p asks for more than exists for now and i hope this gtx 1080 will really work for 1080p high refresh and fps on multimonitor ( joke asside about gtx 1080p; but pretty true tho) having most cards 1080 around the 599$ mark will retail in uk for at least 580£... I am afraid... Which will make it here slightly cheaper then titan x but thats it....

Albert Rampo

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
take out that cooler and make it $200 cheaper i havent needed a cooler for a GPU in years
just a little ingenuity for VRM cooling and im good to go ..front plates makes it even easier now hopefully they dont stop putting them on

f-14

Distinguished
what are the AMP requirements? 36 amps?
*DVI-D = Digital Only. Please do not connect to "DVI to VGA" adapter.
****Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor.
*DVI-D = Digital Only. Please do not connect to "DVI to VGA" adapter.
"founders edition" piss poorly translated chinese for stock reference nvidia design.
this card is a bigger leap forward than nvidia has been putting out since the GTX2XX series debuted.
lower power, greater performance this is as big as the 750ti's that didn't need auxiliary power connectors or maybe nvidia has been holding out on us since they made that card.
either way this is a series card you can upgrade to and not feel bad about it costing $300 and $500 because that would be the price of the GTX2XX series adjusted for devaluation of the dollar today when you could buy the GTX260 for $89 and the GTX270 for $179 and the GTX280 for $289 in 2008.

i will say there is going to be much better models from this chip in the future due ot it's 256bit bus and the GTX2XX series being 448bit to 512bit memory bus interface, so we know automatically these memory interfaces can be doubled with the massive power decreases
GTX260 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370
Memory
Effective Memory Clock
1998MHz
Memory Size
896MB
Memory Interface
448-Bit
Memory Type
GDDR3
Details
RAMDAC
400MHz
Max Resolution
2560 x 1600
3D VISION Game Ready
Yes
SLI Support
3-Way SLI
Cooler
With Fan
System Requirements
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)
Two available 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles
Power Connector
2 x 6-Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported
Yes
HDCP Ready
Yes
Pros: What can I say. I am just totally satisfied with how awesome the improvement is going from 2x 8800GTX's in SLi to 2x GTX 260's in SLi. I see improvements in all my games not to mention being able to play Crysis with everything set to "very high" @ 4xAA and still getting a good 25-40 FPS ( Big improvement over my 8800's ). ALthough 25-48 FPS doesnt sound like much but for Crysis it is still very playable and with all the bells and whistles turned on it just rocks. CoD4 i am getting 75-140+ FPS, I have yet to see the FPS drop below 75 in CoD4.

GTX1080
SPECIFICATIONS
Base Clock: 1607 MHZ
Boost Clock: 1733 MHz
Memory Clock: 10000 MHz Effective
CUDA Cores: 2560
Bus Type: PCI-E 3.0
Memory Detail: 8192MB GDDR5X
Memory Bit Width: 256 Bit
Memory Speed: 0.2ns
Memory Bandwidth: 320 GB/s
RESOLUTION & REFRESH