[SOLVED] Colors flickering, stuttering, and black “squares” on the screen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2022
Computer Type: Desktop, custom built

GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8192Mb TUF GAMING OC V2 (TUF-RTX3070-O8G-V2-GAMING), no overclock

CPU: Intel Core i5 11500, no overclock

Motherboard: MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI, latest BIOS (7D18v13)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4 3600MHz 16Gb (2x8Gb), XMP enabled, no overclock

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze 750W V2

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 21H2 build 19044.1469 64bit, clean install

GPU Drivers: 511.23, clean install

Description of Problem: I've recently built a custom brand new PC. After some time I noticed that in Zoom conferences (where people have their cameras on) and while watching videos on YouTube my screen periodically flickers. It looks like colors are faded for some ms. What is more, zoom video can freeze completely, but sound will still go on. I started to experiment and found out that if I run RivaTuner with statistics on top of the app, Zoom video will 100% infinitely freeze. Also my PC starts to lag at this moment. Even the mouse cursor is lagging hard for 2-3 seconds. My sound can also crack for the half of a second when I'm in Zoom conference. Also I have some kind of black squares on desktop screen in the specific place.

Under heavy load (Furmark, gaming, etc) everything works great. At least I don't experience any stutters, lags, flickers and black squares. But in COD Warzone I sometimes I have a weird graphical issue. When I aim my gun with a scope, world props and my scope start to flicker. Maybe it's unrelated issue. ALT+TAB solves this issue in 50% of cases.
My temps are about 63C GPU and 70C CPU while gaming.
I don't have this issue if I use integrated graphics, so problem is definetely somehow related to the NVIDIA GPU.
  1. Here is the video of black squares on the desktop: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15GP0BcRB3KV2R_KFGVEmxDpRgUsqJwIv/view?usp=sharing
  2. Here is the video of weird flickering in Warzone: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P74qFWHGXMPZXUg-h8-n2jIKKSxpQXui/view?usp=sharing
Troubleshooting:

• I updated my BIOS,
  • reinstalled the Windows (went back from 11 to 10),
  • reinstalled drivers,
  • tried disabling XMP,

but nothing has helped.

I thought that my GPU is defective, so I exchanged it under warranty. I got the same, but brand new ASUS TUF RTX 3070. However, I still have the same issues. Same black squares in the same specific place, same flickering, same freezes in Zoom and so on. It looks like some kind of problem with hardware acceleration, isn't it?

So, what to do? What can be the problem? I'm depressed, because I build an expensive PC and can't even watch videos on YouTube nomally. I really hope to get some help here.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 25, 2022
Thanks for the fixed link.

maybe its using power profiles from your old GPU
Is this possible? Are power profiles stored somewhere in OS?

u can try DDU
Okay, so I've just cleaned up my previous driver and did a clean driver installation. Unfortunately, I still have the same flickering in Warzone. But I haven't tested Zoom, black "squares" etc yet. So I'll make one more post later if DDU helped or not. But I think if experience the same flickering in Wazone, I'll still have the same problems everywhere else as I had described, right?

Jan 25, 2022
Update: found out on Reddit that Warzone flickering is just a bug (appeared is the last update), which is related to ultrawide monitors. So, this week I'll be checking if DDU helped with Zoom, YouTube and so on and post a result here.

Jan 25, 2022
windows/nvidia doesnt store those, but some overclocking apps can store/load profiles on boot (msi dragon center/ msi afterburner for example)
I don't have any of those. I reinstalled MSI Afterburner when replaced my GPU. Plus, after the GPU replacement when black squares appeared on the screen, I didn't have any kind of overclocking apps opened in the backgroung. Therefore, DDU won't fix the issue, will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.