Columbia University Research On VR Sickness Prevention, Dynamic FOV Modification Showing Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

You are thinking of viewing distance. The 'field of view' refers to how wide and tall the visible area is.

They mask the edges with a scaled black alpha gradient to reduce the amount of visible stuff in the peripheral vision.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I wonder if this will help with high-speed games. I can handle navigating a virtual room with a controller, though room-scale is more comfortable, but I can only spend a few minutes in Project Cars before I need a break.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
fov is an issue at all times, hell, even in non vr i get sick with constrained fov
however through this i learned that if i power through a game that's making me sick for a few hours, it stops effecting me in that game.

with current games, i just turn them off and don't bother, but with vr, i would find the will to do that again depending on the game.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Is simulation sickness somehow different from motion sickness which is cause when visual information sent to the brain doesn't match up stabilization information sent by the inner ear.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

different name for largely the same thing.
mostly the difference comes from how its triggered.

boats are a great example, you are on a solid surface but your brain doesn't understand the signals.
for me its a non issue, but have the fov to low or to high and i cant make it 15 minutes.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The video demonstrates what they mean. Basically, they place a black ring around that view and shrink it down while moving. It's hard to put into words, but the video makes it clear as day.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Sell it while some people still think it's a desirable product, and get a Vive.
HTC support is horrible - which is a huge downside, but the Vive offers a much better VR experience, with no sickness as long as you stick to room-scale VR.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Lucky's Tale isn't too bad, but it can definitely make people dizzy. Especially if you're standing while playing.

Have you found anything that doesn't make you sick? I find that AirMech command and Defense Grid are both very comfortable. Esper2 is as well.

For someone like me who it'll be impossible for room-scle, meaning I'll be in a small dorm room, do you think I should get the Rift or Vive? I am well aware that the Vive supports some games that don't utilize the motion sensing, but would there be any benefit of spending $200 more on the Vive when I can't use the motion controls at all?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

If you have enough clear space to spin around with your arms stretched out then you can play standing scale games. There are many games that work in standing-scale that you can use the motion controllers for.

Not sure if you'd know this, but about what % of games do not need you to move around a room?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

If you filter steam to search for HTC Vive and Standing, there are 132 titles listed.
Not all of them are out yet, and not all of them will be worth your time, but that's a fair number of titles.

to put it into perspective, there are 147 room-scale titles. Some of these don't overlap (if you select both you get 168) but most room-scale games can also be played in standing spaces. Some will be less desirable this way, but many will work just fine thanks to the teleporting mechanic that is often used.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I am surprised these guys were given an award for this work.

It's an idea stolen from the game Adrift. There is a motion sickness reducing feature in that game where you press a button and the FOV gets heavily limited. It can also be turned to "auto" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.