Com Surrogate (dllhost) Do I have a virus?

adr123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
So I think I downloaded a virus yesterday. When I started up the program everything looked fine until I realized it wasn't the correct one. I was searching for notepad ++, and I accidentally downloaded a c++ turbo program that I thought was the correct one. When I closed the program, a windows opened saying windows defender got turned off. I couldn't turn it back on, it told me to restart my computer but I didn't want to do that becuase i thought maybe the program that I downloaded had a virus and if it already did any changes to my computer, restarting would maybe apply those changes. I started panicking, I turned off the Ethernet port and then went into the task manager to see if the turbo c++ thing was still running. It was, so I shut it down. I closed the task manager then went into the control panel and deleted the program, then I went into c:/programfile/(Turbo C++) and deleted everything there. I opened task manager again, and I saw a task called Com surrogate. I panicked becuase I remebered it was some kind of virus or something. The day before that I had never seen it in background tasks. So I quickly repair the ethernet port and go into a website that explains how to fix it. I do everything but none of those programs detect a virus, only tracking cookies on chrome and internet explorer. So the next day (Today) I turn my PC on, I open task manager, and I see 2 tasks called com Surrogate. They quickly disappear, so I make it so that it doesn't refresh automatically. I close task manager, wait a while, and I open it again. Now I can see the 2 tasks called Com Surrogate.

When I open their file location, they both take me to the same place, a file in system32 to a file called dllhost. If I go into properties, it says Created: friday, 30 of october, 2015. Modified: Friday 30 of october 2015 and the same for Accesed. Like 3/4 of the system32 file contents also say they were created on the same day.

I don't know if I have a virus because in most websites, it says that if there are multiple tasks named the same, its most likely a virus, but if they lead to a sys32 file, its not. And why can't I just delete the dllhost and be done with it?

Solution

Sorry I forgot to mention, but COM surrogate is a normal process. No need to worry about THAT. I said MBAM because of the odd modified dates on system32. Turbo C++ is a program used to compile source code.

adr123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016

I did but it detected nothing. But I still have the two Com Surrogate proccesses

ebm9000

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Sorry I forgot to mention, but COM surrogate is a normal process. No need to worry about THAT. I said MBAM because of the odd modified dates on system32. Turbo C++ is a program used to compile source code.

Solution