COM5 - COM15 Driver Problem

I have just done a recovery CD installation of XP for a Compaq EVO
N1000v notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have yellow
exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.

I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem? How can I get XP
to tell me that name of the driver it is looking for to install COM5
through COM15?

mcp6453 wrote:

> I have just done a recovery CD installation of XP for a Compaq EVO
> N1000v notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
> including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
> couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
> there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
> the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have yellow
> exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.
>
> I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
> make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
> should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
> what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem? How can I get XP
> to tell me that name of the driver it is looking for to install COM5
> through COM15?

Problem solved. Thanks, anyway.

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> mcp6453 wrote:
>>
>> I have just done a recovery CD installation of XP for a Compaq EVO
>> N1000v notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
>> including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
>> couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
>> there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
>> the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have yellow
>> exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.
>>
>> I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
>> make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
>> should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
>> what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem? How can I get XP
>> to tell me that name of the driver it is looking for to install COM5
>> through COM15?
>

> Problem solved. Thanks, anyway.

Unless you have a really, really strange laptop, you only have one com port.
Some have none. A very few have 2. Under ports, do you have any com ports
listed? Is your com port enabled in the bios? Do you even use it?

Unless this is causing some problem, I'd suggest ignoring it. You can try
removing them and see if they don't come back. Or disable them.