Combat TV Series on DVD - TacOps WWII Research?

Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
(96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was a
kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...

Best regards, Major H.
tacops@mac.com
http://www.battlefront.com/

jp

"Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

ARGGHHHH !!! I'm jealous; I had the next three days off.....kids and wife
at school/work......time for some serious r & r.............goddamn work
calls; I'm now working today and tomorrow.

Combat..

Sounds good. Enjoy Major:)

Lemme know if it has the same appeal as when you were younger.

I watch 2 back to back B&W episodes of Gunsmoke every night, repeats or not.
They just don't make em' like they used too.

"Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

Got those ones too. The pilot episode was a retro eye-opener!

Reddogfive wrote:
> "HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
>
> Hi, I picked up the first 2 collections which made up season one and
found
> the Robert Altman directed/created ones were the best. I also liked
the fact
> that they more or less followed a timeline from readying themselves
for
> D-day the landing and afterwards. But after watching some of the more

> realistic movies of the past twenty years (Saving Private Ryan and
Band of

Major H <tacops@mac.com> wrote in news:BE857B76.7E671%tacops@mac.com:

> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge.

Tip: move fridge to couch :)

> The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three
> seasons (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen
> since I was a kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up.
> Ahhhhhh ...

In case you want to find a particular episode :

http://www.combattvseries.com/episodeguide.htm

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

> Tip: move fridge to couch :)

Can't. I am under doctor's dire orders to get more exercise. :)

Best regards, Major H.
tacops@mac.com
http://www.battlefront.com/

Major H wrote:
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was a
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...

Hot damn!

Sgt. Saunders, Kirby, Caje, Little John, Babyface, Doc and Lt. Hanley!
;-)

Finished my first DVD afternoon with Sgt. Saunders and the gang.

I think the series has aged very well. So far the film to DVD work looks
great - certainly a lot clearer than anything I saw on TV in the 60s. Lots
of cut aways to real WWII footage. The sound is only semi-stereo but is
good - not tinny.

I think the show is great fun, but it isn't history. If you have good
childhood memories of the series then buy it just for the ride. If you are
anal over historical accuracy then go back to Band of Brothers for the 200th
time. :)

Best regards, Major H.
tacops@mac.com
http://www.battlefront.com/

> Finished my first DVD afternoon with Sgt. Saunders and the gang.
>
> I think the series has aged very well. So far the film to DVD work looks
> great - certainly a lot clearer than anything I saw on TV in the 60s.
> Lots
> of cut aways to real WWII footage. The sound is only semi-stereo but is
> good - not tinny.
>
> I think the show is great fun, but it isn't history. If you have good
> childhood memories of the series then buy it just for the ride. If you
> are
> anal over historical accuracy then go back to Band of Brothers for the
> 200th
> time. :)
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

Glad your enjoying it! You're right, it is meant for entertainment and taken
as such it ain't bad.

Cheers, Reddog

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
>> Finished my first DVD afternoon with Sgt. Saunders and the gang.
>>
>> I think the series has aged very well. So far the film to DVD work looks
>> great - certainly a lot clearer than anything I saw on TV in the 60s.
>> Lots
>> of cut aways to real WWII footage. The sound is only semi-stereo but is
>> good - not tinny.
>>
>> I think the show is great fun, but it isn't history. If you have good
>> childhood memories of the series then buy it just for the ride. If you
>> are
>> anal over historical accuracy then go back to Band of Brothers for the
>> 200th
>> time. :)
>>
>> Best regards, Major H.
>> tacops@mac.com
>> http://www.battlefront.com/
>
> Glad your enjoying it! You're right, it is meant for entertainment and
> taken as such it ain't bad.
>
> Cheers, Reddog

I'm hesitant to order this. I have fond memories of the series and would
like to keep them as such. My favorite is the one with Richard Basehart and
the "shoe clerk" remark.

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> I'm hesitant to order this. I have fond memories of the series and would
> like to keep them as such. My favorite is the one with Richard Basehart
> and the "shoe clerk" remark.

James if you can rent it then do so. I am sure you will find some enjoyment
there. Another option is a used collection on EBay...

Cheers, Reddog

"Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

OK, guys, I just ordered the first season. If I'm heartbroken, well...see
the scene in "Unforgiven" as Eastwood leaves the saloon. :)

dodo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:21:49 -0400, "Reddogfive"
<reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I'm hesitant to order this. I have fond memories of the series and would
>> like to keep them as such. My favorite is the one with Richard Basehart
>> and the "shoe clerk" remark.
>
>James if you can rent it then do so. I am sure you will find some enjoyment
>there. Another option is a used collection on EBay...
>
>Cheers, Reddog

My gavorite Combat episode is the one in which Saunders wakes up in
enemy lines wearing a German uniform. He has to fake "shellshock" and
even is forced to remain unmoving when a Luger is fired in the air
near him. If I remember correctly, he is befriended by a German NCO
who points out that they both served in the Africa Corps. He ends up
killing the NCO in a firefight eventhough he "fired low" Great show,
memorable series.

Major H wrote:
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in
the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three
seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I
was a
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

the cable station E-action has been running combat for a while. sgt
saunders was my ideal of cool when i was a kid.
.. watch for the guest stars like robert duvall and james caan as a
generic german.
good watching.

"Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
> Its friday afternoon. The wife is at work. A case of beer is in the
> fridge. The postman, on behalf of Amazon.com, just delivered three seasons
> (96 episodes) of "Combat!" on DVD - none of which have I seen since I was
> kid. My wall sized video projector is warming up. Ahhhhhh ...
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

Guys, thanks for the advice. I'm amazed how good they are; I was too young
to really appreciate the show. The scene in the barracks in England
illustrated well why Ike thought morale would drop if D-Day was delayed
again. It also showed how green most of our guys were.