[SOLVED] Combine Etrhernet and Wifi?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So I have a problem where the ssid of my wifi network is different than that of the wired network. This is usually fine, but, when trying to connect to something like a chromecast from my computer, I have to unplug my ethernet cable and connect to the wifi network. I couldn't figure out how to change the ethernet ssid in my router/modem's settings (I have an atandt 5268ac) and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to do so.

Thanks!

Solution
So I have a problem where the ssid of my wifi network is different than that of the wired network. This is usually fine, but, when trying to connect to something like a chromecast from my computer, I have to unplug my ethernet cable and connect to the wifi network. I couldn't figure out how to change the ethernet ssid in my router/modem's settings (I have an atandt 5268ac) and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to do so.

Thanks!
Wired networks don't have "SSID". Your router may have a setting to block mutlicast traffic.
First thing to check is IP address range. The first three sets of digits should be the same for every device on your home network. Is that correct ?
Next you need to attempt to ping...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks!
Wired networks don't have "SSID". Your router may have a setting to block mutlicast traffic.
First thing to check is IP address range. The first three sets of digits should be the same for every device on your home network. Is that correct ?
Next you need to attempt to ping a WIFI connected device from your wired PC. Does that work ?

Solution

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
The ping went through just fine. I turned off wifi in windows 11 to ensure that it was using my ethernet connection and, while ping was surprisingly high, it worked. Can you provide some clarification as to what multicast traffic is and how I can about addressing any settings that may be blocking it?

Edit: All the wifi addresses start with the same three sets of digits

kanewolf

Titan
The ping went through just fine. I turned off wifi in windows 11 to ensure that it was using my ethernet connection and, while ping was surprisingly high, it worked. Can you provide some clarification as to what multicast traffic is and how I can about addressing any settings that may be blocking it?

Edit: All the wifi addresses start with the same three sets of digits
If you have the same subnet and the ping works, your basic network is working.

Just to be sure I (and others) understand what you are trying to do, are you trying to access content on your PC from a chromecast device connected to TV or are you trying to screen cast your PC to a TV ?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I'm trying to cast my screen from my computer to my chromecast which is then connected to the tv. I just tried pinging it and lost all 4 packets.

Aditional Info:

I'm running a dual ap setup with my computer hooked into one and the chromecast connected to the other. I have used TP Link's Acess Point mode to disable its DHCP address allocation setting, but I guess it's possible that might cause a problem.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to cast my screen from my computer to my chromecast which is then connected to the tv. I just tried pinging it and lost all 4 packets.

Aditional Info:

I'm running a dual ap setup with my computer hooked into one and the chromecast connected to the other. I have used TP Link's Acess Point mode to disable its DHCP address allocation setting, but I guess it's possible that might cause a problem.
OK. What model are the APs?
Yes, you want all the "APs" (which sound like routers configured as APs) to have the DHCP server turned OFF. You want a single DHCP server on your main router to handle everything.

kanewolf

Titan

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I made sure it was configured correctly. I'm confident that that is not the problem. My best guess right now (since I can print to a printer on the wifi network from ethernet) is that its a security feature of the chromecast itself.