Combining captures

I have fifteen 3 minutes videos that I have already captured in
DVD-compliant mpg2 format . If I author them all separately, I will have 15
choices on the Title Menu and that is too much. I would like to tie them
together into one.

Can and how do I tie the 15 little ones together in a continuous fashion and
present just one menu choice for them? I would like to do so without
unecessary rendering. I have W98se so the 4Gb file limit applies.

Is there such a thing as capturing with a pause, to create a long
caputer....instead of just ending a capture for each clip?

Thanks, Larry

"Larry B" <hatespam@hatespam.gov> wrote in message
> I have fifteen 3 minutes videos that I have already captured in
> DVD-compliant mpg2 format . If I author them all separately, I will have
15
> choices on the Title Menu and that is too much. I would like to tie them
> together into one.
>
> Can and how do I tie the 15 little ones together in a continuous fashion
and
> present just one menu choice for them? I would like to do so without
> unecessary rendering. I have W98se so the 4Gb file limit applies.
>
> Is there such a thing as capturing with a pause, to create a long
> caputer....instead of just ending a capture for each clip?
>
> Thanks, Larry

If you can find the original (Free) TMPGEnc DVD Author,
it ran on W98SE (at least it did for me). While the initial version
is missing a number of the features of the newer versions, it can
do what you describe, easily. There should be no rendering
required if your files are DVD compliant.

Your Author program should let you select which chapters you
want to be included as menu items.

If you want to form a structure with some grouped together, just
load the related .mpg clips into a track. Then you could have a Main/
Root menu to select each of the Track menus. Each Track Menu
would have whatever Chapters you wished to have as menu items.
(by default, a chapter point is made for each .mpg file added, you
can also add more chapter points within a clip as you wish.)

Not sure what you are looking for with "capturing with a pause",
but you can add another .mpg clip with an extended "transition"
even if it is just black frames and silence. Or you can copy or add
GOPs with what you seem to want into an existing clip/chapter.

If you wanted to get creative you could add an audio or an audio
and video introduction between some of the clips. If your capturing
is from a recorded source (VCR or TiVo for example) it is easy to
acquire short clips to use. [Some stand-up comedy between home
movie clips could be something else.]

Luck;
Ken

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:18:05 GMT, "Larry B" <hatespam@hatespam.gov>
wrote:

>Can and how do I tie the 15 little ones together

With Tmpgenc, "File | Mpeg tools... | Merge & Cut".

>Is there such a thing as capturing with a pause, to create a long
>caputer....instead of just ending a capture for each clip?

Depends on your capturing software. The one I use, iuVCR, can do that.

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Larry B" <hatespam@hatespam.gov> wrote in message
> > I have fifteen 3 minutes videos that I have already captured in
> > DVD-compliant mpg2 format . If I author them all separately, I will have
> 15
> > choices on the Title Menu and that is too much. I would like to tie them
> > together into one.
> >
> > Can and how do I tie the 15 little ones together in a continuous fashion
> and
> > present just one menu choice for them? I would like to do so without
> > unecessary rendering. I have W98se so the 4Gb file limit applies.
> >
> > Is there such a thing as capturing with a pause, to create a long
> > caputer....instead of just ending a capture for each clip?
> >
> > Thanks, Larry
> >

> If you can find the original (Free) TMPGEnc DVD Author,
> it ran on W98SE (at least it did for me). While the initial version
> is missing a number of the features of the newer versions, it can
> do what you describe, easily. There should be no rendering
> required if your files are DVD compliant.
>
> Your Author program should let you select which chapters you
> want to be included as menu items.
>
> If you want to form a structure with some grouped together, just
> load the related .mpg clips into a track. Then you could have a Main/
> Root menu to select each of the Track menus. Each Track Menu
> would have whatever Chapters you wished to have as menu items.
> (by default, a chapter point is made for each .mpg file added, you
> can also add more chapter points within a clip as you wish.)
>
> Not sure what you are looking for with "capturing with a pause",
> but you can add another .mpg clip with an extended "transition"
> even if it is just black frames and silence. Or you can copy or add
> GOPs with what you seem to want into an existing clip/chapter.
>
> If you wanted to get creative you could add an audio or an audio
> and video introduction between some of the clips. If your capturing
> is from a recorded source (VCR or TiVo for example) it is easy to
> acquire short clips to use. [Some stand-up comedy between home
> movie clips could be something else.]
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Thanks for the assistance. Something so simple..... I found a few
programs via Google that did it but had all sorts of issues. Some related to
my P1-1GHz machine and others were unexplainable. I actually took the files
via CD-r to work in order to Merge them on my XP P4 machine there. Worked
like a charm and played OK too. However, when I burned it on the DVD, the
first (of 15) segment played great. When the 2nd one started, the video was
fine but the audio was totally chopped up for the remainder of the Merged
clip. So, I moved on with my life and just made the DVD with 15 files. Too
much fiddling for such a small thing. BTW I didn't have TMGEnc.

Thanks again, LarryB