[SOLVED] Combining Cat6 and Cat6a cables

lordpuffer

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
For my home networking setup, is it ok to combine both Cat6 and Cat6a cables? will it effect performance or cause any other issues?

It depends why you want cat6a.

Cat6 cable really has no purpose. It was designed to run 1gbt over 2 pair of wires rather than 4. That form of gigabit was never really implemented so was a dead cable standard pretty much since it was invented.

Cat6a cable is designed to run 10gbit.

Now it is well known that cat6 cable can also run 10gbit for short distances. Then again so can cat5e for even shorter distances. This is not part of any official standard so you really should not depend on it actually working.

So if you need 10gbit you should run all cat6a. Otherwise you might as well use cat5e to run 1gbit. Now can you make it work at 10gbit mixing the cable. If you are using fairly short cables it will work. If you are running it in a wall I would always use cat6a. The cost has come down to the point that cat6a does not cost that much more.

Be very careful of fake cable. A huge amount of the cable sold on amazon and ebay is fake. You want pure copper wires with wire size 22-24

Reactions: SamirD
It depends why you want cat6a.

Cat6 cable really has no purpose. It was designed to run 1gbt over 2 pair of wires rather than 4. That form of gigabit was never really implemented so was a dead cable standard pretty much since it was invented.

Cat6a cable is designed to run 10gbit.

Now it is well known that cat6 cable can also run 10gbit for short distances. Then again so can cat5e for even shorter distances. This is not part of any official standard so you really should not depend on it actually working.

So if you need 10gbit you should run all cat6a. Otherwise you might as well use cat5e to run 1gbit. Now can you make it work at 10gbit mixing the cable. If you are using fairly short cables it will work. If you are running it in a wall I would always use cat6a. The cost has come down to the point that cat6a does not cost that much more.

Be very careful of fake cable. A huge amount of the cable sold on amazon and ebay is fake. You want pure copper wires with wire size 22-24

Reactions: SamirD

lordpuffer

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
That didn't answer my question, but thank you. All of my ethernet is purchased from Monoprice. I want to replace some of my Cat6 cable with Cat6a. However, there will be both Cat6 and Cat6a in use for a while in the network at the same time. Can this cause any issues?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS