[SOLVED] Combining ram from Corsair

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Ok so i stupidly made the mistake of not doing enough reserch when i built my first pc over a year ago. Kinda regret some things ( didnt get pwm fans, got loud fans meant for radiators, cheap case, etc) but one issue ive seen is im starting to struggle with the 8 gigs of ram i have, I currently have a kit of ddr4 3200 ram running at 2666 (because i cant get 3200) from corsair, looking online, i believe corsair is trying to get rid of this memory module. So heres the main question, would it be ok if i could get a kit of 2666 ram that has the same timings to add another 8 gigs to the system, same ram vengence from corsair. Otherwise, would it be worth trying to sell the kit i have and get a whole new kit and get 16 gigs right away? If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks :)

Solution
It could work. But may not. RAM speeds aren't guaranteed when you mix RAM. If you want to be certain your RAM will work together. Get a kit and sell what you have. If you want to be absolutely certain it will hit its XMP profile speed. Get RAM which is on the QVL (memory support list) for your motherboard. Which should be on the manufacturers support page for it.

If you want some nice, budget friendly and quiet PWM fans. Get an Arctic F12 or F14 PWM PST value pack. They come in five fan packs for about $25 and $35 respectively.
It could work. But may not. RAM speeds aren't guaranteed when you mix RAM. If you want to be certain your RAM will work together. Get a kit and sell what you have. If you want to be absolutely certain it will hit its XMP profile speed. Get RAM which is on the QVL (memory support list) for your motherboard. Which should be on the manufacturers support page for it.

If you want some nice, budget friendly and quiet PWM fans. Get an Arctic F12 or F14 PWM PST value pack. They come in five fan packs for about $25 and $35 respectively.

Solution

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Ok, that actually makes sense. One issue i do have about doing this though is i dont make a whole lot that i can go to spend extra money. I cant guarantee someone would want to buy the memory modules anyways, and id rather not be stuck with no ram. As for fans, i have thermaltake riing 12 white led fans, their great fans for cooling and my pc is nice and cool, however, i have dampeners on them droping rpm to like 1100 or something like that, its not really noticible but occasionally it will sound like a wind tunnel.

Then I'd say for your best shot. Get the same make and model number you have now. Even then, Corsair uses multiple manufacturers. There is no guarantee that it is the same RAM. That doesn't mean it won't work or won't work at full speed. Just that there is a chance of incompatibility. Which could mean it won't work at all (unlikely) may work at a lower common speed (more likely).

Even if XMP doesn't get the speed you want. You can try to manually set the speed and timing. If your motherboard supports it.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Thats the issue with getting the same kit i have now, its over 200 dollars on newegg and amazon. I spent 120 back in may of 2018 when it was terrible pricing, this one particular kit has only gone up in price. And unless i as a sales rep to give me a link to the page on their website, you cant find this particular kit on corsairs website either. I think their trying to get rid of it but not.

Jun 28, 2018

Dear nhardinger2003,

On a recent communication I had with Corsair's support they strongly advised me against mixing Memory that don't belong to the same part number. Even if they are of the same specification (RAM Freq & CAS Latency). It will most likely create incompatibility issues.

If you are ever planning to use 4 RAM sticks on your motherboard, even if it's a dual channel, it is strongly advised to get a kit of 4 DIMMs instead of 2 plus 2. (Which means different part numbers).

In my personal opinion, you should follow Corsair's advice in order to avoid any issues with your motherboard and RAM kits. After all the prices are going down and 16 GB are affordable these days. I guess they will go even lower too. Though, if you mix 2+2 kits it might work, but that's a risk that you'll have to take.

If I were you, I'd sell my sticks and get brand new pair of 2 rams. QVL lists etc are just marketing, but mixing same modules isn't recommended.

G. Skill's RipjawsV and HyperX are pretty affordable I think same as Corsair's Vengeance series.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Ok, that makes sense as well. Not only could their be compatibility issues, but like i stated above, my kit that i currently have is over 200 dollars new on newegg right now. I dont know about you but thats a lot for 8 gigs of ram. If i were to sell my kit i have now, how would i even get it to sell? I dont know about you but i dont think id purchase used ram unless its a reputable seller. I dont think id mind selling the kit and getting like 20 to 30 less than what i spent ( spent 120 get about 90 back or so). Then id probably get a kit of ram that is compatible with my cpu over my board. I have a ryzen 5 2400g as the processor but a 1060 as the gpu, so dont need a large ammount to run the apu anymore. Id probably get 2666 as 2933 is still a bit pricy. If you would have any tips for trying to sell the ram please let me know, thanks. :)

Take good pictures. If you have the original packaging. Include it in your pictures.

You are not going to get $90. That's what 16GB goes for new now. RAM is worth less now. You'll only get up to what it is worth. Currently 2x4GB DDR4 Corsair kits average about $45 at auction on eBay. As you have little history. You'll likely end up at $40 or less.

Jun 28, 2018

As velocityg4 mentioned. You should sell the sticks about 40-50$. Take good pictures from the kit as well as a picture from CPU-Z showing that the ram works fine. And mention that there's proof of purchase as well as the original packaging. Second handed RAMs are always relevant as they are combined with Lifetime Limited Warranty, so even if the kit eventually doesn't work, the buyer would still RMA it with no issues.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

I understand what you guys are saying with selling the ram, however, if im not gonna get somewhat close to what i paid for them, it doesnt pay to sell it and get a new kit. Ill just deal with the 8 gigs i have and save the money. Wasted a lot on unnecessary parts to begin with (led fans, light strips, etc). Thanks for the help though.