[SOLVED] combining ram

Apr 16, 2020
so about a year ago i bought a pc with 2x4gb sticks of hyperx ddr4 2133mhz of ram, I wanted to upgrade to 16gbs so I have bought 1 8gb stick of hyperx ddr4 2666mhz ram. When I turn on my computer it doesn't seem to do anything, any suggestions?
my specs are
Asus prime H270-plus HDD
Geforce gtx 960 4gb card
Intel core i5-7600 MOBO
and the existing 2x4gb sticks of ram I have at the moment
I also have 4 slots of ram in my PC and the 2x4gb sticks are in the 2nd and 4th slot

Solution
a CMOS hard reset is different than setting the jumper pins. it involves removing the battery and following certain steps after.
look up how to accomplish.

you can try each RAM module separately in each DIMM slot to test if either a certain stick or a certain slot have been damaged.

but to verify if dual-channel will work when only using slots 1 & 3 you would have to check your motherboard manual or contact it's support team.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Doesn't do anything like no longer turns on with the new stick in it?
Memory isn't really designed to be mixed and matched, especially different sizes together, although it can function.
It seems you have the options of either running the faster 8gb stick in single channel mode or running your old memory in dual channel like you had it. If your computer isn't working you dont have the option for both. I can't tell you what would be faster unfortunately.
The better option would be to return the 8gb stick and try to sell the old memory and buy a kit of either 4x4 or 2x8 at a faster speed. You could also probably do just a 2x4 kit at the fastest speed your cpu and mobo will run it for an inexpensive route.

have you tried removing the new stick and rebooting?

it is never recommended to mix RAM kits. these modules are tested and determined to function together at their rated speeds but any extra sticks added, even if the same make/model, can cause conflicts leading to issues like you are now experiencing.

Apr 16, 2020
Memory isn't really designed to be mixed and matched, especially different sizes together, although it can function.
It seems you have the options of either running the faster 8gb stick in single channel mode or running your old memory in dual channel like you had it. If your computer isn't working you dont have the option for both. I can't tell you what would be faster unfortunately.
The better option would be to return the 8gb stick and try to sell the old memory and buy a kit of either 4x4 or 2x8 at a faster speed. You could also probably do just a 2x4 kit at the fastest speed your cpu and mobo will run it for an inexpensive route.
Yea
Erm yes it turned on but my keyboard and mouse didn't light up and my monitor didn't register the pc. Also I just tried it with the 8gb stick and the same thing happened. But now I have just gone to put back my old ram in to turn it on but it now does the same thing with my usual ram. Is my pc dead I'm kinda freaking out

Apr 16, 2020
Also when I turn it on it makes a high pitched whirring like sound and I can't turn it off by the usual power button I have to turn it off by the power supply

it's always possible that the DIMM slots were damaged when installing/removing the RAM and now it can't function.

maybe try doing a CMOS hard reset on the motherboard.
and just use either the 2x 4GB dual channel set or the new 8GB stick, not both, when powering back up afterwards.

Apr 16, 2020
Ok
it's always possible that the DIMM slots were damaged when installing/removing the RAM and now it can't function.

maybe try doing a CMOS hard reset on the motherboard.
and just use either the 2x 4GB dual channel set or the new 8GB stick, not both, when powering back up afterwards.
Do you think I could change the slots the 2 4gb ones r in? To the two other slots that aren't being used? Instead of the CMOS reset because I think the actual pin is underneath my graphics card

a CMOS hard reset is different than setting the jumper pins. it involves removing the battery and following certain steps after.

you can try each RAM module separately in each DIMM slot to test if either a certain stick or a certain slot have been damaged.

but to verify if dual-channel will work when only using slots 1 & 3 you would have to check your motherboard manual or contact it's support team.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 16, 2020
a CMOS hard reset is different than setting the the jumper pins. it involves removing the battery and following certain steps after.

Ok thanks for being so helpful man I really appreciate it. I'll have a look at the cmos reset

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost