[SOLVED] Combining Two 2-Stick Memory Kits to Populate Four Memory Banks

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question. I want to upgrade my memory capacity from 8 to 16 GB. I currently have this guy installed. If I order another one will it most likely work with the current one? My mobo is a P8-Z68-V/Gen3 and has 4 memory banks. Corsair said "We do not recommend or guarantee the ability to mix two separate memory kits together and for them to work without issues. Our recommendation would be to purchase a single kit at the capacity you wish to have." with regard to using two 2-stick kits to populate 4 banks.
Thanks!

Solution
DDR3 is much more forgiving buy another kit of the same and it should work or be made to work by upping the voltage.

Their a chance it will not work the safest thing to do is buy a matched set.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks guys I'll give it a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Also the mobo manual says "For system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (4 DIMMs) or overclocking condition." Any merit to this claim? I'm not OC'ing and the memory sticks I am using have beefy heat spreaders and airflow in my case is decent. Anything to worry about?

Last edited:

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
I installed the sticks but the computer didn't pick them up at all and booted as normal. I'm guessing I didn't seat them fully I have this silly ASUS mobo with single lock latch memory banks and IIRC I had a hell of a time installing the originals as well. Sound like a correct diagnosis?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Finally got around to testing everything out. I was trying to get 2 2x4 GB stick kits to work together. Mobo wouldn't pick up 4 sticks 3/4 times and 1/4 time mobo memory light lit up solid indicating boot failure. I verified the new sticks were good by using just them to boot the computer.

I'm thinking about getting 2 new 8GB sticks now to upgrade my memory. Is the QVL in the mobo manual the best reference for compatible memory? I found Corsair's Memory Finder and G Skill's RAM Configurator. My mobo is old school P8 Z68-V/Gen3 ASUS. G Skill doesn't list any 2x8 GB kits.

This guy lists as Z68 compatible however it's not in the official QVL for the mobo. Should probably work right?

Thanks!

Last edited: