Combining Video Source Types (Analogue and DV) in Ulead MSP

Hello,

I'm using Ulead MSP 6.0 and am hoping to combine video sources from DV
(transferred via 1394) and analogue Hi-8mm (captured with Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR-USB2), both NTSC, into a single MPEG2 file for burning on DVD.

Unfortunately, these sources use different field orders: DV is lower field
first (what Ulead calls "Field order A") and the Hauppage capture is upper
field first (Ulead = "Field order B").

Is there a relatively straightforward way to do this without ending up with
the annoying jumpy/stuttering lateral motion?

Thank you,
kwc

"kwc" <kwc@invalidaddress.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Ulead MSP 6.0 and am hoping to combine video sources from DV
> (transferred via 1394) and analogue Hi-8mm (captured with Hauppauge
> WinTV-PVR-USB2), both NTSC, into a single MPEG2 file for burning on DVD.
>
> Unfortunately, these sources use different field orders: DV is lower field
> first (what Ulead calls "Field order A") and the Hauppage capture is upper
> field first (Ulead = "Field order B").
>
> Is there a relatively straightforward way to do this without ending up
> with the annoying jumpy/stuttering lateral motion?
>
> Thank you,
> kwc

Why do you want to combine into a single MPEG2 file? This
is not needed or preferred for DVD Authoring.

Luck;
Ken

I'd like to do do fades, transitions, etc. between both clips, add titles,
etc. This is a retirement function filmed from two angles (one DV, the
other analogue) and I wanted to switch between each view and make it appear
seamless. If I author them directly, I won't be able to do any of those
things, and would have to break everything into chapters.

Regards,
kwc

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Why do you want to combine into a single MPEG2 file? This
> is not needed or preferred for DVD Authoring.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

rs

Cannot you just render one with a lossless codec so that it becomes like the
other?

> I'd like to do do fades, transitions, etc. between both clips, add titles,
> etc. This is a retirement function filmed from two angles (one DV, the
> other analogue) and I wanted to switch between each view and make it
> appear seamless. If I author them directly, I won't be able to do any of
> those things, and would have to break everything into chapters.
>
> Regards,
> kwc
>
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Why do you want to combine into a single MPEG2 file? This
>> is not needed or preferred for DVD Authoring.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken

I'd be surprised if you couldn't import from more than one
source, with any multi-track editor. One as up to date as yours
should be able to deal with correctable "incompatibilities",
between clips on different tracks. With both your MPEG and
DV (AVI) source files, you will be extracting clips/scenes to
place on a timeline and inserting transitions between the clips.
This process will result in an output that will require encoding
to DVD compliance. Maybe I'm missing something?

Luck;
Ken

If I remember correctly, you can simply select the clip and then
go to the properties ?? and select which field order for that clip.
I know I have done it in 6.5 (when I ran a clip backwards, I had
to reverse the field order to make it look smooth - funny watching
kids sandboard UP the hill). I do remember there was the overall
project settings that selected the field order, but by selecting the
individual clip, somewhere in the menu, you could set the field
order for that clip different from the rest.

mikey

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "kwc" <kwc@invalidaddress.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using Ulead MSP 6.0 and am hoping to combine video sources from DV
> > (transferred via 1394) and analogue Hi-8mm (captured with Hauppauge
> > WinTV-PVR-USB2), both NTSC, into a single MPEG2 file for burning on DVD.
> >
> > Unfortunately, these sources use different field orders: DV is lower
field
> > first (what Ulead calls "Field order A") and the Hauppage capture is
upper
> > field first (Ulead = "Field order B").
> >
> > Is there a relatively straightforward way to do this without ending up
> > with the annoying jumpy/stuttering lateral motion?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > kwc
> >

> Why do you want to combine into a single MPEG2 file? This
> is not needed or preferred for DVD Authoring.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

RS wrote:

[upside-down quoting fixed]

>> Unfortunately, these sources use different field orders: DV is lower
>> field first (what Ulead calls "Field order A") and the Hauppage
>> capture is upper field first (Ulead = "Field order B").

> Cannot you just render one with a lossless codec so that it becomes
> like the other?

If HDD space is tight, this could also be done "live" via a simple
Avisynth script, without any intermediate files (i.e. by using Avisynth
scripts instead of the original clips as your source footage when
editing.)

--
znark

Ken Maltby wrote:

> I'd be surprised if you couldn't import from more than one
> source, with any multi-track editor. One as up to date as yours
> should be able to deal with correctable "incompatibilities",
> between clips on different tracks. With both your MPEG and
> DV (AVI) source files, you will be extracting clips/scenes to
> place on a timeline and inserting transitions between the clips.
> This process will result in an output that will require encoding
> to DVD compliance. Maybe I'm missing something?

Most PC video applications process video at frame level, not field
level. If you have interlaced footage coming in from two different
sources, one with top field dominance and the other one with bottom
field dominance, it is certainly possible that you might get some severe
problems when editing them together (creating cross dissolves etc.),
unless your NLE app knows how to correct this automatically. (You might
not see it, though, unless you are monitoring on a _real_ interlaced
video monitor [or on a tv set] instead of your computer monitor while
editing.)

If the NLE app used does not provide tools for fixing field dominance
problems, there are two tricks that may be employed: one of them is
recreating the interlaced frames by reading, say, the odd field from
frame 1, the even field from frame 2, then combining them into a new
"frame 1". In a similar way, you would then take the odd field from
frame 2, the even field from frame 3, combine them into a single frame
and call this "frame 3" etc. (OK, it might be the other way around with
odd and even fields, but that's the general idea, anyway.)

The other trick is simpler: just nudge the footage one pixel up (or
down), which will reverse the field order as well. (The footage is now
off-center by one pixel but this shouldn't really matter much in most
cases.)

--
znark