Comcast Drops TWC Merger Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Now that $45 billion can be spent on better customer support and "great products" to more markets ..... NOT.

At least in my area where Google has announced interest Comcast SEEMS to be putting in more effort to have higher, more reliable speed.

Regardless I'm going to drop Comcast quick if/when anything comparable comes to town. Hopefully that's Google in the next few years.

It's a shame that it takes the threat of possible competition before Comcast/other cable incumbents do anything to increase their service.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
This is for once good news. I am not sure the deal is 100% over, it will take one crooked politician to be subdued and they will do it all over again. Never take anything for granted in life and it's true for business mergers.
Also 8 years ago I remember there was a project under Obama to improve network infrastructure all over the US, this project was compared to the historical railroad construction, and fell through, it seems like the ISPs took the money and ran with it and/or did not comply with this project.

Saberus

Distinguished
Comcast CEO Brian L. Roberts, your words ring hollow to me, and stink to high heaven. Everyone could see this wasn't about service, it was about greed. When your own shill and former lobbyist, now head of the FCC, scrutinized the deal and felt it wasn't in the best interest of consumers, you know this deal was nothing short of a power grab to bilk more people with your subpar services and pricing.

I'm quite relieved that Chairman Wheeler didn't just push a pro-Concrap agenda and actually sided with the people.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Actually, from what I understand, fiber was laid in many areas of the country. In upstate NY, I saw it being laid along I-90. However, from my understanding, it is precisely ISPs like TWC that decided not to use it. Why ISPs are not using it anywhere in the country, I cannot say; however, I am willing to bet that it gives them further excuses to continue to gouge their customers' bank accounts.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
"Of course, we would have liked to bring our great products to new cities"

Umm, you still can, there is absolutely nothing stopping you. It's this thing called 'competition' which, being a cable company, you are obviously not familiar with...

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"I'm quite relieved that Chairman Wheeler didn't just push a pro-Concrap agenda and actually sided with the people".

I am too. I have to say, I was one who couldn't bevielve that this man was put in charge of the FCC, but he stood up for what people wanted and never waivered. Props to him and I'm gladly eating crow.

litleftdowey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
The merger should have been allowed to happen followed immediately by the new company being split in two. The result would have been two companies with equal access to the infrastructure competing for every TWC and Comcast customer..

_THAT_ would have benefited consumers.

Saberus

Distinguished

In a perfect world, yes. But in reality it would have been like the breaking up of AT&T into the baby bells. They just reformed back into the megacorp like a damn T1000 in slow motion. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there were memos buried in the archives of AT&T planning the reformation post-breakup.

If TWC and Comcast had merged and been forced to break up, I would almost guarantee they would have made a plan to remerge together and buy the legislation to legalize it, if they didn't just buy out the legislation to make the breakup never happen.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Not all parts of the former AT&T rejoined the collective. Verizon will never rejoin the former AT&T collective.

Had the Gov't permitted Comcast and TWC to merge, there would have been nothing they could do to the resulting company.

Frangelina

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good, they already lease their $69. cable modem for $10. a month. These are hungry folks.Can you imagine if they had the monopoly of the data???!!!...

big_tiger

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
They are two sides of the same coin. Comcast bought the cable franchise in my city, then sold it TWC. Nothing new except labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.