[SOLVED] Comcast Norton expired. What should I get?

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I was wondering what product is good to use for Windows 7 and 10 for Virus protection. I had used the Norton software products for years as they were included with our Comcast / Xfinity cable services but they have ceased providing these.

Is the software build into Windows adequate? Is there any decent freeware? Should I also get spam type software, etc.?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Kaspersky's free Cloud AV seems quite adept, and, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that MS's included Security suite (aka, Defender with it's new name) is equally competent/responsive, and/or updated as quickly....

Not sure what you mean by 'spam type' software...; but , there are several popup blockers in browsers of your choice...

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You can switch to the retail version of Norton if you don't mind activating with a credit card and enrolling in auto renewal. I planed on switching to the retail version of Norton, but after being unable to activate without a credit card I returned it and bought Bitdefender total security, got lucky and BestBuy had it on sale for $24.99 for 5 devices. What I like about Bitdefender is, not only is it among the best rated security software, but I have the option to renew with a activation code purchased at a retail store which are cheaper than renewing directly through Bitdefender.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @King_V

Windows Defender (actually now Windows Defender Antivirus) within Windows Security should be fine.

FYI:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/win...wn as Windows Defender,the cloud, and the web.

No harm in having some backup app as well. Free Malwarebytes is well recommended.

However, that all said, the real defenses are "safe surfing", staying away from iffy websites, do not open unknown emails etc..

Always, always have system and data backups. Multiple copies.

Reactions: King_V
As a side note, Kaspersky Free blocks the 'iffy' websites and/or their attempted pop-up cousins...

I concur WIndows Security is no 'doorknob', but, most would be hard-pressed to convince me it will ever match Kaspersky. (I've seen Kaspersky block the activities of a smaller, unknown file/folder encryption utility I was testing, and, restore the few files it had started to encrypt within the folder...; a false positive, but, it's behavior impressed me!)

TRENDING THREADS