Comcast Promises Nationwide 2 Gbps Internet Service By End Of 2015, 1 Gbps In 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

That was exactly what I was thinking. 2Gbps aggregate speed.

I wonder if they are using 1GBase-FX or something cheaper for their "2Gbps" FTTH.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Article title is pure clickbait. Where does the "Nationwide" part come into this. They are talking a single city for 2Gbps, and then 1Gbps test city in 2016 to later expand to the rest of the country.

So what 2025 for the rest of us?

If they offered reasonable prices for the service they can deliver today I might be interested. I think 105Mbps in my area is $90 already. That would scale up to about $860 for 1Gbps.

wfmcc333

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Usually 2Gb speed is a marketing term that means you can download at 1Gb and upload at 1Gb at the same time, hence 2Gb. A 1Gb fiber connection can always do both at the same time. All 1Gb wired routers can also do both at the same time. All 1Gb switches will do both at the same time. Wireless WIFI is not the same. A 1Gb WIFI may only give you 1 total of 1 Gb (or usually less) in both directions total. You would get 1Gb down only if you are not uploading anything. It can get more complex. There is no spec for a 2Gb fiber, just 1Gb or 10Gb (Or higher) There is a 5/2.5Gb electrical spec in your future, but only if you promise CSCO Et. Al. that you are willing to be very good for a long time. At least that's what my mom says.

Does anyone really care what comcast promises anymore? I've seen them break more promises this year that a politician ignoring campaign points.

I would sooner listen to a squirrel before I have my ears grated off by comcast.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm quite happy with 25Mbps actually @ $45/month. 50Mbps is available, but the price doesn't scale well. 50Mbps in my area is $80 a month. "Extreme" 105 is actually the better deal, but I can't justify the expense.

Will Comcast lift their data cap in Atlanta or will we be able to use it up in 20 minutes?

Also Comcast's connection policies suck in Atlanta. Your neighbors across the street can have Comcast but they wont run a line to cover your side of the street in a dense neighborhood. If the local government made a good contract Comcast would be required to run the cable to the other side of the street.

For example when in Maine the local contract required Comcast to install cable if there were five houses within any one mile span. Even if they had to run the cable across five miles uninhabited land.

2Gps in 2015 followed by a downgrade in 2016 to 1Gbps! Yay!

2Gbps on their fiber network. 1Gbps over existing coax cable.

Unless a home user has a 10Gbe router and or switches paying for 2Gb Internet would be a waste, as you would only ever get half, unless they are talking about 1Gb up and 1Gb down.

They won't do bidirectional speeds as then they couldn't shake down corporations for 3X the price for that extra upload speeds.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Article title is pure clickbait. Where does the "Nationwide" part come into this. They are talking a single city for 2Gbps, and then 1Gbps test city in 2016 to later expand to the rest of the country..

So what you're saying is that you didn't read the article.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I'd prefer sonic.net if they'd hurry up and expand like a bat out of hell for their 1 gig service. But unfortunately comcast is the lesser of evils around my area. Looking forward to docsis 3.1

Not necessarily. The WAN port needs to be 10Gbe (or 2GBe). The LAN ports can be regular Gigabit. And two users in the home could simultaneously download at 1 Gbps each.

I'm on Cox's 100 Mbps for $60/mo. Their Gigabit service (in areas with fiber) is $100/mo.

I signed up for Internet-only. A week after I ordered the service (before they'd even installed it), they gave me a call offering me basic cable + HBO for just $10/mo extra for one year, no contract. i.e. No ballooning price in the second year, and I qualify for discounts as if I were a new subscriber after the first year is up. The plan I'd been mulling before going Internet-only was $80/mo for 100 Mbps Internet + basic cable w/ 2 year contract (went up to $90/mo the second year) + HBO for 1 year. So if you're not desperate for TV, it can be worth signing for Internet-only as a negotiating tactic.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The headline states 2gbs this year, then a downgrade to 1gbs next year. perhaps an editor can fix it...

Its very very very limited 2gbs this year, only in part of ATL. Then expansion to most of their teritories for 1gbs next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.